Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Soft closing draws

Hi All

I have seen the soft closing draws that have hydraulics built into the runners and I have seen the little foam pads that you stick on the draws. Both intended to stop the draws from slamming closed. The first appear to work very well, except you need to replace the whole draw, the second don't do much IMHO.

Anyway the question is - is there any aftermarket in between alternative for stopping that horrible wall shaking bang when a large poit draw is closed not so gently? With kids etc. the sugestion of just closing gently isn't really an option!

Blum have a soft close mechanism that was originally designed for doors.

It consists of the Blumotion piston and was intended to be either flushmounted in the gable or fastened to the inside of a gable using an adaptor plate.
    This design has been superceded by a unit that clips onto the hinge itself, but the piston type format is still available.

While Blum do no advocate using this componant as a drawer stopper, we have clients who have used them for this purpose and have not had any complaints (yet!).

Basically you would use an adaptor plate (or if you are really keen drill into your gables, and fasten one of these pistons either side of the drawer cavity for the face of the drawer to stop onto.

I think the main reason Blum don't like specifying them for drawers is that the closing load is transferred to the drawer face rather than being absorbed by the runners, which can risk the drawer faces coming loose.

Specifications for this unit can be found at www.wilbrad.com.au - I would give you the direct link but I can't seem to get onto their site at the moment...

I am also pretty sure that similar mechanisms are available from a few other hardware suppliers; possibly Nover or Tekform.

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Those Blumotion tracks are pretty neat. I think they are about $35-$40 for a pair though. Adds up when you've got a bunch of drawers to do.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Sybarite

You are right, nover have the thing you are referring to. They are only a few dollars each. Do you know if they are any good? The Blum ones look quite complicated and I would hav expected a bit more than a few dollars?

Guess I could just get a few an try them out.

http://www.nover.com.au/products.asp?ID=78

Those are the boys - they look almost the same as the Blum units I was referring to - not to be confused with the integrated "Blumotion" soft close Tandembox runners or the new style of Blum hinge mount dampers.

I don't have a price for the Nover units, but the Blum version isn't that much more expensive about $4.40 retail (I bought them from Lincoln Sentry for my last job) or so per damper including the external mounting plate.

I haven't played with the Nover design, but I would expect it to behave similarly to the Blum type.

As you said, maybe best to get one of each and try them out.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Those are the boys - they look almost the same as the Blum units I was referring to - not to be confused with the integrated "Blumotion" soft close Tandembox runners or the new style of Blum hinge mount dampers.

I don't have a price for the Nover units, but the Blum version isn't that much more expensive about $4.40 retail (I bought them from Lincoln Sentry for my last job) or so per damper including the external mounting plate.

I haven't played with the Nover design, but I would expect it to behave similarly to the Blum type.

As you said, maybe best to get one of each and try them out.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,
    these will only work with the latest style of blum hinges (ones with square holes) you will need the piston type dampeners fitted retrospectivley if you dont have the right hinges
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Both Blum & Nover have the piston style ones. They were the ones in my link. Actually since then I have ordered a couple to trial at $2.45each + 35c for the adaptor.

I'll update on if they work.

Be careful with piston types because if you slam the door hard enough you will break the plastic collar.

You can see how blumotion for doors work here.

Thanks. I was going to try them on draws ... although I on't think you're meant to do that either. But I have some draws in the laundry, so I give them a trial there before the kitchen.