Hi crew! I'm in the process of ripping up concrete slabs from my backyard; other than it being a learn on the job DIY, I have a 'mysterious object' imbedded within the concrete.

To the photos, then I'll explain further...

The Object! At first I suspected it may be the spot for worshiping of various Gods, and lighting of candles.

Attachment 75580

The concrete xray scanning bloke at work, checking for pipes / cables etc. He didn't find a thing, fortunately. NOTE: you can see the object just behind him, in the ground.

Attachment 75581

The item unscrewed. Note: you can see the 4 main points, and the top / left pointer is directly North facing, as I've seen with a compass. The small circle at right *may* have been a spirit level at one point, though is now 'dry'.

Attachment 75582

The object up close

Attachment 75583

Uncapped

Attachment 75584

Close Up

Attachment 75585

At first I thought it may have been sewrage access, though it looks to possibly be an electricity conduit of some sort. Namely as at the bottom of the closeup, it looks to be a pipe for cabling. I can't get the device out (yet), though there's a larger cavity around it, namely where that pipe leads.

I've contacted a couple of companies online (namely as the lid is clearly labelled "ROWCO'), but with no success.

I'm hoping someone here online can shed some light! Any ideas?

Note: It's theorised a previous owner was an astronomer, and this may be related; possibly a telescope mount? Which is why he'd need it to be north facing?

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...