Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finish for a cot?

Hi guys,

Just completed the construction of the cot for my newborn nefew.
    Could anyone suggest an appropriate finish ie: not poisonous and durable and not to plastic looking.

Thanks

Ludo

Ludo, I'm looking at a couple of options for a similar project. the finishes i am looking at are Organoil hard burnishing oil, Ubeaut hard shellac or just finish with a traditional furniture wax. Probably leaning towards the organoil with a wax topcoat?
    If I do not clearly express what I mean, it is either for the reason that having no conversational powers, I cannot express what I mean, or that having no meaning, I do not mean what I fail to express. Which, to the best of my belief, is not the case.
    Mr. Grewgious, The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens

The safest of all would be either ordinary shellac, or white shellac if you won't want to change the colour of the timber any more than wetting it with water. 100% environmentally safe and non toxic. Can be chewed on and often is as it is used as a coating for fruit, tablets, confectionary and other good stuff.

I wouldn't be using wax on its own as it will attract dust from all around the place and dirt from hands etc. It would be alright if used over Shellac but in all honesty I would just be doing it with shellac and leaving it at that.

Organoil may be fine, but I would have some major reservations about putting a baby in with the fumes that continue to eminate from most of their finishes for many months after they are applied. :eek: Not saying they are bad but I certainly wouldn't like to be smelling them all the time and a baby would have no choice as it can't say get me out of here it stinks or hey look into my watery eyes and tell me why I have a constant headache .

Hope this is of some help to you both.

Cheers - Neil

PS Don't forget the bub is the one who has to put up with fumes and other nasties in a finish. Just because it smells good to you doesn't mean it will smell good to a bub or even be good for it. Quite the contrary, many solvents and finishes that have strong auromatics can be harmful. One reason why many artists of old were slightly batty, eratic, highly strung and had more than their fair share of mental problems, was due to the pure turpentine and other solvents they used. Please have a care.

Default Cots galore - it's got to be something in the water!!

Hey Ludo, Slavo
    It's great to see dads, grandads, uncles etc getting into this cot making stuff big time - I've just completed a cot for my 2nd grandson (see attached photo - I hope, it's the first time I have tried this on the forum) and finished it with Ubeaut Traditional Wax. It's definately the easiest finish I have used and looks great and best of all is non-toxic. Even my first grandson Xavier (now 3 1/2yrs) helped me apply it and buff it up by hand. His mum is realy sold on the cot and the finish.

My son and I delivered the cot to their place on the Sunday before ANZAC Day - all assembled and decked out in new linen etc - Bugger ! Despite our best efforts (and my son is an ex-removalist!) the standard sized cot would not fit through the door. My grandson gave us moral support as we dissasembled it in the front yard . My daughter in law gave birth on ANZAC Day and was back home 20hrs later - a close run thing with completion of the cot!!

Once it was installed with the detachable change table, to save space, it looked great. Constructed from Amoora (Pacific Maple), with a bit of contrasting Tas Oak and Satin Ash on the decorative pyramids. It was build using Orange Machines (Triton) and a GMC thicknesser.

Keep up the good work guys

Wallace

Thanks for the help. Look it will just have to be finish with shellac.

Wallace just looked at the great cot you built and could you share the source for the hardware as I will require some very soon.

Thanks

Ludo

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Organoil may be fine, but I would have some major reservations about putting a baby in with the fumes that continue to eminate from most of their finishes for many months after they are applied. :eek:
    Glad Ludo got his answer but interested to comment on Organoil. For a product promoted as enivronmentally superior it is very toxic smelling for a while. Was stuck in an office recently containing a newly Organoiled piece and developed a sore throat and sniff whenever I was in the room. Incredible. Smell took weeks to dissipate.
    Rusty

Default Cot Hardware

Ludo
    I got the cot hardware from Beenatree Crafts Pty Ltd. Try their web site at www.ubeat.com.au/beenatree.

If you cannot find what you want on their www catalogue just email them as I did.

Best of luck with your up coming project

Wallace
    "Plastic trees make great plastic boats - show me the trees!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    The safest of all would be either ordinary shellac, or white shellac if you won't want to change the colour of the timber any more than wetting it with water. 100% environmentally safe and non toxic. Can be chewed on and often is as it is used as a coating for fruit, tablets, confectionary and other good stuff.
    Thanks Neil, I was thinking Hard shellac because it appears to have a bit more resistance to scratching, water and baby stuff. Is there any nasties in hard shellac that woud prohibit its use? Or do you prefer normal shellac because of its repairability? Thanks for the advice on the Oil, the cot's for some friends and the bub is not due for a fair while so smell may not be an issue but will keep in mind.

Ludo,

I got some hidden drop side hardare from products america, about US$40 a set plus postage (it's product code was something like PH60) and took about a week for delivery via airmail.

Slavo
    If I do not clearly express what I mean, it is either for the reason that having no conversational powers, I cannot express what I mean, or that having no meaning, I do not mean what I fail to express. Which, to the best of my belief, is not the case.
    Mr. Grewgious, The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens

Thanks for the information Wallace and Salvo. I had a good look at the hardware needed for the cot and decided to make it myself. Went and bought some brass for it yesterday. I will post pics if someone is interested.

Cheers

Ludo

White shellac for repairability and ease of use.