Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post 50's bedroom suite

Can anyone give me an idea on what type of finishes were used on commercially sold veneered bedroom suites of the 50's. You know; Bedhead, "tall boy", "low boy" dressing table and stool.

I have a friend into kitch and she doesn't want to indiscriminately start pouring toxic chemicals over her latest aquisition.

If it is a good commercially produced piece then probably shellac, nitrocelulose or spirit varnish. all will soften if metho is left on the surface for a while.

It may be an oil varnish and possibly (just possibly) an early type of polyurethane, but I reckon your best bet would be one of the first three.

I wouldn't be doing anything drastic like stripping them back unless they were really ratty. The first thing I would do is to try some of our Polish Reviver or something similar. This could save hours of work and the odd tear or two.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Cool

Thanks Neil

Been away for a break. I'll pass the info on.
    I think it may be shellac because I'm sure she mentioned a grime type build up.