Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Intro.

Default Intro.

G'day Y'all,
    Sitting here half asleep so I thought I would introduce myself.
    I am an old man, retired from 50 years in the construction business, another 5 as a cabinet shop owner. I had my joints eaten up by Arthritis, my motor skills went South with Polymyositus and bypass surgery took its toll a few years ago. I still get around even if it is slower than I want it to be.
    My son and I owned a Cabinet shop until the housing business in South Florida fell in a hole. We still have a wood working shop set up in his 2000 sq ft shop and we just got our small CNC machine up and running about a month ago.
    I bought Swoopy plans from C. Boyer a few years ago and managed to get most of the stuff cut out but the gears were more than I could manage. I tried fret saws, band saws, routers, drill presses and could not get them to run.
    The CNC changed that. I can now make gears from 3 mm to about 300 mm in involute or Cycloid configuration and in any module size,. I have a bunch of Walnut, Cherry and Maple left over from the Cabinet Shop and I make my own plywood by resawing it and glueing back together. I use a vacuum press to squeeze it together and I am getting better and better at it. I cut most of the slabs to 1.5 mm and make 4 ply and 8 ply to cut the parts out of.
    I lost parts of my Swoopy over the years as I moved stuff around and have had to search through the videos of other peoples clocks to make sure I had everything. I put all the parts into Auto Cad and will recut everything from there.
    If any of you need pieces or parts cut, I am willing to cut them for you. I can use store bought model ply or build it out of hardwood.
    Regards,
    Joe

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day Joe and welcome.
    I'm just a hobbist toy maker of sorts;
    what you do sounds way beyond me.
    Anyways, enjoy the forum, there's a lot of top blokes & ladies who contribute.
    Cheers from "On Top Down Under".
    Crowie

Hi Joe. Welcome to this forum. If you wish to post some photo's of your work it would be most interesting to all.

Regards Stewie.

Welcome aboard Joe, yes some pics of your work would be great. Sounds very interesting stuff.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome to the forum.