Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hey there to everyone!

Hi all, I have visited this forum many times, so I thought it was about time I joined. I have loved working with wood since I was a little kid, watching my father, who was a carpenter, in his workshop. (Hey dad gimee a hammer please, I wanna whack in some nails.) I have always been around tools, -selling hardware for fifteen years, then welding for another fifteen. Since being forced into retirment I have been able to take up woodworking on a more fun basis. My tool collection is still growing, up to 86 hand planes at the moment, including those I've made myself. (Why stop just because money was short). Been enjoying many of the things written here and have learned quite a bit. Plan to visit offen and chat with other like minded folks real soon. See Ya

That's nice, 85 hand planes, welcome to the forum.

We are a mixed bunch and that's what makes us interesting.

Hi and welcome devils wood
    I have only 1 (one ) hand plane and I need someone to show me how to use it properly.
    Enjoy the forum its a good place and a wealth of information.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
    Hi and welcome devils wood
    I have only 1 (one ) hand plane and I need someone to show me how to use it properly.
    Enjoy the forum its a good place and a wealth of information.
    Brian
    Thanks Jethrow. Don't worry about only having 1 hand plane, for some reason they tend to multiply. Once you know how to use them properly, one is never enough. I spent a rewarding two hours planing a slab of English oak, roughing it with a "knight Toolworks" wooden jack plane, flattening it with a antique "Norris" jointer, and smoothing it with a "Stanley Bedrock" #3 with a A-2 steel heavy replacement blade. I might have been hot & bothered by the time I finished, but rubbing my hand over a glass smooth surface is a very rewarding experience. You might want to check out some of the DVDs by David Charlesworth, and Rob Cosman. Their DVDs showing all aspects of planing, sharpening, and just about everything else to do with planes are fantastic. You could try finding them on Google or find snippets on YouTube. Happy Planing, Brent.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy.
    And then there is the thicknesser
    Michael

Wood Butcher

Welcome to the forum.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John