Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default URGENT Lakes Entrance - What's The Latest Please

Hi,

I don't know if we have any members here who live in that area?. If so, I would appreciate a word or two tomorrow morning (Sunday) about the flooding situation?

The wife and I have booked a 5 nights stay in Merimbula, starting tomorrow night but given that we are coming from Melbourne there has been a lot of news today about there being a king tide tonight/early morning that will cause massive damage should it eventuate as well as make it impossible for travelling along the Princes high/free way in either direction. Is there a alternative route other than going over the great divide?

Apart from contacting the Bureau of Meteorology is there anyone else who could give us information tomorrow as to whether it is safe (as well as possible) to go via the Princes Free/High way?

I would really appreciate some local advice given that the wife hasn't been too well this year and she has been looking forward to this holiday very much.

Thanking those in advance of their replies.

Regards
    David

Not lookin good
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267998

Have you phoned the place you are staying at ? they should be able to give you the info
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Not lookin good

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267998

Have you phoned the place you are staying at ? they should be able to give you the info
    Thanks for the link Gumby - not looking too good atm. That is why I would appreciate news from the troops on the frontline. We will be giving the hotel a call @ 9am when the switchboard is open for business.

Cheers
    David

Doesn't SilentC live in Merimbula? He doesn't usually log on during the weekend but maybe you could email him.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Know the area, but high tides only come in each 12 hours so timing might be the answer, go through before is best but otherwise 3 hours after, it then should have cleared?
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

If you don't need to go through Lakes Entrance, how about going through Bruthen instead?

About the same distance with mountain views instead of ocean views...
    Ray

dontcha go through Lakes Entrance to get to Bruthen?
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Nup:

Ray

You go through Bruthen and reconnect the highway at Nowa Nowa, the roads clear and you by pass Lakes, the turnoff is at Bairnsdale, after crossing the Mitchell river you travel to a roundabout instead of turning right to lakes its straight on to Bruthen signposting is quite good.

Cheers, John

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Nice stretch of road between Bruthen and Nowa Nowa as well, and lots of radar activity so be careful.
    I used to travel that way every month and found it was a lot quicker as Lakes tends to slow you down a bit, especially all the 'oohs and aaahs' in front of you as you go down the hill into Lakes.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Only got MetalHeads PM this morning, so I guess he's already up here. They were expecting floods at Lakes but Bruthen is the way to go. We often go that way when heading south to avoid the traffic at Lakes in summer and if you look at the map, it's shorter as the crow flies.

Fine and cool in Merimbula today.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Nice stretch of road between Bruthen and Nowa Nowa as well, and lots of radar activity so be careful. I used to travel that way every month and found it was a lot quicker as Lakes tends to slow you down a bit, especially all the 'oohs and aaahs' in front of you as you go down the hill into Lakes.
    Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to reply - much appreciated. I just PM Silent to thank him for his PM buy unfortunately I had already bolted in the early hours of the 2nd. We did go via the route (as mentioned by Iain above) as there were re-routed signs on the way there. Unfortunately, on the way there the power steering went just short of Sale. So when we got into sale we got in touch with the company who are part of the 3 year warranty we had with the car. It only took 20 mins for the mechanic to turn up and he rediected us to his garage down the road. He got it on the hoist and noticed a screw on the steering system was coming loose that allowed the steering oil to come out. However, we safely got to Merimbula and didn't have any further problems with it thankfully.

Btw, we did encounter the police only once and that was on the stretch of road as mentioned by Iain above. I went round this bend and encountered a fairly steep rise but I noticed what I thought was a car in the distance under a tree and kept my speed within the limit. As I went past sure enough it was a green coloured (camouflaged) Subaru police car with all the gadgetry on it.

Cheers
    MH

I dont know what you worry about I have done over 20K in OZ. at around 120kms. they don't know were to send the tickets.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln