Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who else buys from ebay?

So Im wondering who else buys veneers from ebay?

Come on out with you!!... you closet veneer over bidders who constantly outbid me for the better veneers offered by Matrix!!! :mad: Just knock it off alright? boostin the price through the roof does no one any favors!! :mad:

grump over I just really wanted some of that ruddy Bubinga stuff is all and missed out cause some friggin nutcase was all over every lot on offer ah well as said grump over

So anyway... there I was wandering around doin this an that on different sites and somehow wandered into the US ebay site... mmm found their veneers and shat kittens!! I mean holey friggin doolie mates their prices are as cheep as flamin chips and the sizes are bloody HUGE!! sending emails to sellers comes up with some very "creative pricing" on postage and packaging I can tell you one bloke quoted $95US UPS for a 14lb lot!! Now that is creative considering the others I contacted went to $35US UPS taking 6 - 7 weeks for delivery and $55US for 7 day delivery by air for the same size lot

Now the BEST thing about their veneers is the size... sorry Matrix ol mate Ive gotta do this... the lot Im presently bidding on is 69sqft in total has 18 sheets of veneer at 64 inches long by 8 1/2in wide 1/38" thick!!! present bid is.... ooh lookit that!! :eek:

I won!! So how much $21.96AUD so add the postage of $75AUD for a total of $96.96AUD Ive got shyteloads of Hickory on its way!!

Whew... so who else does the ebay dance?
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Default Its HUGE & Growing

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo
    So Im wondering who else buys veneers from ebay?
    I am guilty. I brought some a while back, still havent done anything with them yet (need to make a vac bag system). I think her name was Anne in Tasmania.

ebay can get out of hand when people start bidding, Ive seen things go for huge prices when I've seen the same items at Bunnings for far less plus you dont need to pay postage at bunnings.

Depends what your after though, there are some bargains but alot of people are making money off impulse buyers as well.

I heard some stat once about how many million US dollars ebay make every 10mins or something and it was hard to imagine. Even more scary is the rate at which people are discovering it and the amount of new members everyday worldwide - its a snowball effect and its gotta effect the world economy especially the size this thing will become and the amount of money moving from country to country through private sales rather than large corporations and previous business methods.

Anyway i don't understand world economics and don't really want to but I'm just trying to say that e-bay is growing and growing, its a very big thing that will have to have some repercutions, if they are good or bad is yet to be seen but in my opinion whatever they are they will be BIG.

Ebay can be a trap.

I am a photography nut in my other life and I keep an eye on what is up for offer in that area. Saw a lens, Minolta AF zoom 75mm to 300mm, about 10 years old, sell for 10% higher than its new price.

You have to know the value of the item you want, and you have to know when to stop.

Rob.

It only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Exactly so Robert... its okay to have a bid but you gotta know when to fold and stop take a reality pill walk away and think... its like a real auction only without the voices encouraging you... you make your decision on how much your prepared to pay based on what you know or "think" its worth to you... then stick to that price if it goes over walk away... I like to sit and watch if it goes over even at a real auction I will sit back have a fag and watch as the excited ones go hammer and tongs in their efforts to get the item regardless... they must win!!

I watched a bloke at an auction in Carnarvon years ago go totally nuts to get this surfboard ended up paying $700 for a board that was worth maybe just on $100 and at the time he could have had a board made for him personally for $400... I stopped at $120 and spent the rest of that lot smiling at him and the other bloke going for broke win at all costs.. dont think the other bloke was impressed should have heard the swearing coming out of his mouth at the end of it! Amazing and stupid

Great thing but as in all things control and stopping power is needed

Cheers!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Ding best think to do is not bid too soon... wait to the last few minutes!
    It'll save you a fair amount of dollars.
    I've been patroling the building materials section to find bargins... 50x 50mm brass double ball catches $30.50 p&p included, 5pr of 450mm/35kg overextension drawer slides $32.00 p&p included... several lots of screws and even a brand new 2hp elec motor... $193!

With EBay I price around for what I want.
    Take 70% of the best local price and deduct the cost of freight.
    That is my max bid.
    Have picked up some bargins with last second bidding.
    One bid only.

I have also had some fun just bidding over some people and watching them bid again. Still never break the 70% inc freight rule.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I recently bought 7 Titan chisels for $12.50, needed a bit of cleaning up but are good, flea markets want $15 each for the same thing, you can get lucky.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Thumbs up Yea I got some cheap tools as well

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I recently bought 7 Titan chisels for $12.50, needed a bit of cleaning up but are good, flea markets want $15 each for the same thing, you can get lucky.
    I got a dovetail jig for about $45 and some cheap forstner bits, work ok though had a little surface rust but were still brand new and cleaned up with a little camilia oil.

Heres a pic of a drawer I made with my ebay cheapy dovetail jig, I was most impressed even though the jig's comb itself seemed a little innacurate.

If you don't want to be beaten by a last minute bid, use this:

http://www.auctionsniper.com/
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

I get the odd thing but I must be too lousy OR theres a lot of wood ducks out there who pay too much.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

G'day,

SWMBO was a big seller and buyer of kids books up until a year ago when everyone started doing it. She had two great sales: sold an old Gumnut babies book for AU$200 and a rare Golden book for about US$116.

But the question answered is I'm looking. Looking while I'm saving for an Abbot & Ashby 8" b/grinder, planes and a thicknesser, t/saw and chisels. I'm not in the market for most of that stuff now but I like to look as the $ slowly acrue in a spot in my wallet.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I'm now caught in this E-bay thing as well. That Auctionsniper as well. But still the program says that I've been 'Out snipped' all the time.

Whats been said about prices getting out of control, because of the competition bothers me too. Because, that means over time all prices would go up, wouldn't they ? .....Cause to determine my maximum bid, I refer to previous auctions. And if their overpriced, then, gradually the value of any particular item will go up, won't it?, cause everybody works out prices this way as well, right?..........:confused: maybe not.

I do enjoy looking at incredible range of items that come up for auction though. Can give you quite an education. Well at least prompts questions, that you find the answers for latter. The pictures that are often given, from all different angles, is great. Its all very clever really.

I'm finding myself saving the pictures of handplanes that are sold to my harddisk, to a file thats named with the name of the plane and the price it went for. So, I've got this lovely little gallery of planes. Takes the anxiety out of deciding on prices on the future.

Still haven't won anything yet. A lot of the planes I like are from overseas, where postage sort of kills the final price a lot.

It doesnt bother me loosing an auction... quite simply I usually wait till its getting near the end make a bid and sit back if I win goodo if not no loss... I think there seems to be some who are pushin the price up either intentionally or simply because they want the item and hell will freeze over before they will walk away... THEY WANT IT NOW and only this one will do...and this then "forces" a seller to push the starting price up thinking theyre on a good thing then when it is seen to be too high and the bids start to drop off then forcing the seller to rethink their initial knee jerk reaction and lower their prices again...

Its interesting watching some bidders and the "frenetic" behaviour of having to win the item no matter how high it goes.

I think in some auctions Ive watched and been involved in that the excitement gets the seller as well as the buyers... suddenly they are making a whack of money that wasnt really expected and whaaahooo they up their prices hopeing to make even more money... bit of a circle really

But as has been said as a buyer if you get your price down and stick with it dont over stretch it or get totally involved you will be right

Often I will bid once a day before it ends then not go back on till after I know its ended and get quite a shock when I find Ive won it! if I havent I shrug and move on... nothing lost nothing gained sorta thing

Bit hard to know which are rip offs and which are not... best idea is to look all over Aussie USA England etc and see whats being sold elsewhare send some emails get prices for frieght etc and make your choices... dont worry I guess most of us get caught in that initial frenzy or lust or whatever its called over buy or over spend then sob into our teacups THEN we become smarter more aware and generally more careful of what we buy

Ive always been interested in gem and semi precious stones and my first forays on ebay were for them, where I found I had my first problem was the size that aussie sellers sell little itty bitty stones minute and only one! anyway I bought a few in the first weeks then sat and waited till they started to come in I was honestly shocked at how tiny they were... but then I dont work anything in mm as its bloody confusing to me so as the wife says I "was always going to get caught" then I looked further afield and came up with opals in parcels of a dozen larger stones for less than what I can get them on aussie ebay diamonds from sweden at less than half the price malachite for 1/4 the price including postage and 3 bags of it rather than one single peice... now for the stones I go overseas the wife goes overseas to get her fat quarters for her quilting the same deal gets 100 peices plus a bonus 50 peices for less than 1/3rd the aussie price for a half dozen peices... in the tool line which I will admit Ive only glanced at over a month or two Ive seen little difference in price to say Bunnings so dont see the worth as well as that I always feel the need to hold the tool feel it see it in 3D before I pay for it sorta like a car

Amber is one thing I now am a bit more careful about buying as I won one auction of a naked lady made of amber supposedly from Tibet with scorpions and snakes in it when it arrived it "looked" very much like amber but the "added bonus amber" peice that was in the package definantly had that pungent smell of acrylic when cut with the dremel... it was a bloody massive necklace and I decided to try to cut it down then well... ah well it only cost 50c ... oh plus $20 postage!! :eek:

ah well back to the auctions!!!

Theres some seriously good offers Im sorta watching curly figured cheery black walnut several different oaks oh and theres that canadian maple Ive been glaring at for a couple of days now while holding tight to my wallet and keeping my fingers well clear of the keyboard!!!...

hi ho hi ho its of to spend the dough hi ho hi ho hope the missus dont catch on! :eek:

No consoling from me about any near misses. Sorry.

Here, they don't do Ebay, it's Yahoo auction, and as you might suspect it's a tad different...

Firstly, no sniping. The finish time is fairly open so even if you try to snipe, there is often a little bit of time to get another bid in, but that's not the only thing.

There are 'rules' that say you should put in your final bid 10 minutes before the end of the auction, but that's not the worst bit.

There is an option the seller can take where there is 10 minutes added to the end time if someone does a last minute bid. Great for the seller I guess, but it's just not cricket to me.

Also seems to be a lot of underhanded dealings going on. Wether that's true or not I can't honestly say, but in a culture where most everyone believes everyone else in on the level, if you employ a little trickery you can con massive amounts of money from some people. Some of the scams that go on here (and continue!) are amazing.

Anyways, I tend to steer clear more often than not. I have only got a few things, and done ok there. So I can't really complain.

Oh yeah, the feedback is usually given by the seller as soon as they have the money. Notice how I said about 'trusting'?

Nice thing is, it usually works.

Default Set a maximum bid

If you decide the maximum bid your willing to pay then type that in and you won't have to worry about being sniped.

The only reason people get sniped is when someone else bids above your maximum amount. If sniping bothers people why not just set the maximum amount a little higher at the last minute??

If someone still snipes it from you above your maximum why worry? The sniper is then paying too much anyway so your the winner in the long run.

It annoys me when selling that people don't set a higher maximum when they really wanted an item, I've had people ring and complain that they missed out because they were away from the computer in the last mins or whatever.