Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best way to trim deck boards post nailing

Hi all

as pictured here, http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=39828, my deck is almost done.

one thing i still need to do is trim the ends of the deck boards, which are merbau. there will be no overhang (i will be attaching a 'face' decking board over then ends of the decking boards to conceal them).

what is the best way to cut them off? im thinking the trusty circular saw, however im not 100% sure how to attach a fence to the deck to guide the saw, and im also concerned about the gal titadeck nails that sit proud of the merbau - the saw will have to go over them - a bumpy ride!

any ideas would be much appreciated.

kayno

Quote Originally Posted by kayno View Post
    Hi all

as pictured here, http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=39828, my deck is almost done.

one thing i still need to do is trim the ends of the deck boards, which are merbau. there will be no overhang (i will be attaching a 'face' decking board over then ends of the decking boards to conceal them).

what is the best way to cut them off? im thinking the trusty circular saw, however im not 100% sure how to attach a fence to the deck to guide the saw, and im also concerned about the gal titadeck nails that sit proud of the merbau - the saw will have to go over them - a bumpy ride!

any ideas would be much appreciated.

kayno
    Buy a length of 70x12 hardwood to use as a straight edge and run the edge of the circular saw base plate against the edge. use some 3mm ply to bridge the nail heads parallel to the 70x12 straight edge.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

hmmm ok - i like the ply wood idea, thanks

what about attaching the length of hardwood to the deck? i dont really want to screw/nail it into the existing deckboards - they weren't cheap!!

Quote Originally Posted by kayno View Post
    hmmm ok - i like the ply wood idea, thanks

what about attaching the length of hardwood to the deck? i dont really want to screw/nail it into the existing deckboards - they weren't cheap!!
    If you can't clamp it, screw it with small gauge screws. Collect some of the sawdust and mix it with an exterior filler and fill the screw holes. You won't notice them.
    Cheers
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

I just used a couple of 4" nails. It's only a deck! Guess what, I walk past that section every day and I never notice the nail holes.

OK, if you are really that worried about it, get someone to stand on the board and then get underneath and drive in a couple of screws with big washers between two decking boards.

Use the ply as shedhand suggested and just cut freehand. I did the exact thing yesterday on my deck.

I chalk lined the cut and used ply (9mm - thickness doesn't matter) to bridge the nails. Then I just took my time and cut them freehand using the circular saw.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Do you have enough scrap overhang to do this? Not all overhangs, just a few.

From your cut line, nail or screw a straightedge outboard at the narrow dimension of the saw's baseplate. Use filament tape to attach two strips of masonite to the baseplate, one on each side of the baseplate, so that the wide dimension of the baseplate is inboard of the nail heads. (Tape wrapped over to the top of the baseplate.) From your pics on the other thread, it appears you have only two sides to cut, and the tape should survive that.

[BTW, very fine looking deck.]

Joe
    Last edited by joe greiner; 22nd November 2006 at 02:32 PM. Reason: [added]
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Im with vernon, just mark with a chalk line or similar and cut free hand with a circular saw, just take your time and do it in one continuous pass if possible.

Worked fine for me, easy and neat.

Joel
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Agree with jdub.. Chalkline and freehand saw.. go slow and sill be fine.. You can also go over the edge with your grinder and 80 or 120 grit paper to remove and burring and smoothe the edges.

Yeah except you only get one go at it and if you stuff it, well, you have to live with it. So if you're comfortable with using a circular saw freehand then go for it, otherwise take the time to set it up so it's fool-proof and get the job done. In 2 weeks you'll have forgotten how much effort you went to.

thanks to all who responded!

i think ill go with screwing some hardwood down as a guide, and bridging the gap between the nails and guide with plywood.

im a real novice at this stuff (this is the first thing ive built since year 10 woodwork many moons ago) and i dont want to muck it up. plus my saw is a $50 GMC job, so with all that in mind, i wont go freestyle

thanks again - will report back how i go

went to bunnings this weekend and grabbed the 4 lenths of merbau that i needed for around the edge of the deck. they also doubled temporarily as the fence for trimming the ends. i screwed one piece to the deck to act as the fence for the saw with three No6 screws, and the holes they left were not to noticable at all. very happy

I also grabbed a new blade for the circular, with 40 teeth, rather than using the old 24 tooth blade i had. it made a really clean cut, and using ply as a bridge to avoid the nails, it all worked a treat. spent today on the deck enjoying it for a change (rather than working on it!) watching the cricket

thanks again for all the advice on this one guys

That's not carpentry; that's cabinet work. The fourth picture looks kinda hard to walk on, though.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Looks great. It's a credit to you.

Yeah, that last photo is a real neck twister ... was it taken after one too many cold one's???
    Cheers.

Vernon.

convert DSC00078.JPG -rotate 90 DSC00078.JPG