Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mexican stand-off

Here's one - Is there any advantage in registering a car in Victoria and keeping it in NSW?
    I believe that a rego check is not applicable in Vic, and all you have to do is pay the money from anywhere.
    I am told that there is really no time allowance for rego transfer. IF the car is to be kept in another state it must be registered to that state straight away.
    There is this old bloke (80+) that, as far as I know, has lived in Coffs Harbour for at least 3 years. He has been driving a car with Vic Plates for that time and the car is usually garaged near here (me)
    This old bloke is a bit of a menace on the road, and it appears that he considrs that the road belongs to him. If you are turning into a shopping centre dirveway when he is coming in he swings out in front of you as though he is driving a B Double, and if you don't swerve into the kerb he blasts his horn and keeps coming.
    The bloke is with a woman, but they use their own surnames, but I doubt that is the reason for the rego thing as two cohabitating pensioners can register two cars, and the saving is only around $20.00 anyway.
    I did speak to the local traffic branch blokes, but they don't seem all that interested.
    Is there any problem, in the event of an accident, with insurance?
    Peter R.

Peter

A word with the local constabulary may get a better response than the RTA.

If you move interstate, you must register your vehicle for the new state within 3 months of moveing there , I think anyhoo.

Al

I'll defer to Dan's expert knowledge, however I thought that Victorian law requires all vehicles usually garaged in Victoria to be registered in Vic. However a period of grace of 90 days is allowed.

When you register a vehicle from interstate you still need a RWC and that car may not be able to comply.

The financial savings may be more because untill recently pensioners in Vic. did not pay any registration fees, only third party insurance ( savings of $ 140 ) which this year was reduced to half the rego fees so only a savings of $ 70.

Peter if you report him you will be doing him a favour, because as the car is not registered correctly if he has an accident his comprehensive insurer wont pay.

Peter.

Re your problem 'driver' aka looney. NSW Police 'Customer Assistance Unit' Ph. 1800-622-571. The person who answers your call will follow it right thru' and call you back with the result. He/she should call the locals & have them go around & 'discuss' the rego problem & manner of driving.

This is not a well advertised service - it is there to take complaints, concerns, thank you's (not too many of those) and generally handle things that might otherwise get swept under the carpet.

Another useful number - Police Assistance Line (PAL) 131444. You can report a anything to this lot, but they don't follow it up personally, just forward it by computer to the local gendarmes to do something. This was set up to take crime reports over the phone that were not urgent.

As well as the rego offence, the problem driver is comitting what used to be the offence of ' Drive so as to Intimidate' Section 4 AAAA of the Motor Traffic Act, but it has changed with the new Australian Road Rules & I don't know what it now is.

The offence was introduced for the people who drove at Police doing RBT etc. then claimed they were just trying to scare the Police, not hit them, and would someone please plug the bullet holes in the car.

You should still be covered by his 'Third Party' insurance if he ploughs nto you, but it would probably be uder the Victorian scheme, which is still less generous than theNSW scheme, but its a 'no fault' one so you save on legal fees.

Hmmm 29 years - you get less for murder these days.

Sturdee

Thats interesting because in NSW pensioners only pay for Compulsory Third Party Insurance and registration is free.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I know in Albury the police do regular rego checks to see how many locals have their cars registered in Wodonga, which is only 2 minutes away.
    They take a dim view of this and I think it attracts a substantial fine.
    CTP is honoured by any State of origin but if this bloke is injured in NSW he will claim via the green slip (I think thats what it's called) and the insurer will claim back from from TAC (Vic).
    Either way the local wallopers are going to enjoy this bloke I think.
    His rego fee in Vic (country) is $440 or thereabouts including CTP.
    Pensioner discounts have gone.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Talking NSW Costs

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    I'll defer to Dan's expert knowledge
    The financial savings may be more because untill recently pensioners in Vic. did not pay any registration fees, only third party insurance ( savings of $ 140 ) which this year was reduced to half the rego fees so only a savings of $ 70.

Peter.
    NSW Costs for a pensioner: Compolsory third party Insurance (NRMA) $226.60 if you have other NRMA insurance.
    Registration Fee and Motor Vehicle Tax exempt. (the saving is not evident on a registration slip) I don't think it is much above $30.00, if that.

I do appreciate the advice that is coming on this one - I am not comfortable with being a dobber, old school and all that, but you blokes are making a lot of sense.

Peter R.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White
    Sturdee

Thats interesting because in NSW pensioners only pay for Compulsory Third Party Insurance and registration is free.
    The Victorian labour government who professes to look after the little bloke thinks that the pensioners have it too good and decided to reduce the free rego concession to only half the concession. The money saved will be spent on cheaper public transport fees for pensioners.

This of course is very good news for pensioners. :mad: It is a wonder that the other states haven't done it yet. :confused:

Peter.

There is no period of grace for the change over of registrationor licences. As soon as you take up residecne you must change your reg over(in vic). The penalty in Vic is $500, drive unreg motor vehicle. In NSW it is heavier, about $1000 (unreg, uninsured).

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    The Victorian labour government who professes to look after the little bloke thinks that the pensioners have it too good and decided to reduce the free rego concession to only half the concession. The money saved will be spent on cheaper public transport fees for pensioners.

This of course is very good news for pensioners. :mad: It is a wonder that the other states haven't done it yet. :confused:

Peter.
    Well in NSW we do have a $2.50 concession ticket that you can travel on bus, train or ferry all day and no rego fees. Doesn't help much in the bush except for the rego fees.

Just don't tell Bob Carr what they are doing down there. He is always looking for ways to get more money in his coffers.

Remember the days when the goverment used to work for us, and not the other way around.

Al

Remember the days when the goverment used to work for us, and not the other way around.

Al
    No
    Photo Gallery

Maybe that was one of them revolitionary dreams I keep haveing??

Viva le revilution, Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Maybe that was one of them revolitionary dreams I keep haveing??

Viva le revilution, Al
    Tell me about these dreams old son, do they involve that cute new art teacher?

Viva le REVEALation methinks!

P