Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sealing/Priming MDF

Hi all,

I tried a search to find it but had no luck, so I'll try my luck in snagging the person responsible for the post - or find someone else who has this method. I'm sure in this forum that I read someones post that they don't seal and prime MDF whenever they paint their project. Is this possible? It would be great as it would save me money on the sealer - primer which is not all that cheap to buy.

I'm sure I read that this person just painted the edges first let it dry then followed by a fews coats of paint.

Thanks
    Geoff

I must have been dreaming then

No Geoff your not dreaming. I too remember that post. I've checked the reno forum and can't find it there either. Maybe not using the right search words....

I seem to recall that the mdf edges were sealed but with pva and water mix, once dry it was painted (no sanding before painting). Only after the first coat was any sanding done.

Thought I was dreaming too, but I found the post.
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=79875

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by garfield View Post
    Hi all,

I tried a search to find it but had no luck, so I'll try my luck in snagging the person responsible for the post - or find someone else who has this method. I'm sure in this forum that I read someones post that they don't seal and prime MDF whenever they paint their project. Is this possible? It would be great as it would save me money on the sealer - primer which is not all that cheap to buy.

I'm sure I read that this person just painted the edges first let it dry then followed by a fews coats of paint.

Thanks
    Geoff
    I think it might have been me... you sand the edges to atleast 120 then give a couple of coats of undercoat and sand the whole thing smooth with 400 (wet and dry easiest) then spray on your top coat.

Here is a thread to look at.... it was answers to one of your posts Garfield

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=79795
    and another
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=72123
    Regards,

Chipman

Great. Thanks guys for your help.

One more thing does anyone in the Sydney district have a place where they buy cheapish enamel paint? I wanted to buy 4L from Bunnings and I nearly fell over with the price the price on enamel paint has gone up heaps in the last two years I reckon!

Thanks
    Geoff

I buy my spraying enamel from car paint shops. Note that if you are spraying enamel you'll find out why its sometimes called fairy floss (everything in the nearby area gets sticky!)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I buy my spraying enamel from car paint shops. Note that if you are spraying enamel you'll find out why its sometimes called fairy floss (everything in the nearby area gets sticky!)

Much cheaper?