Although this old chestnut has been thoroughly thrashed over the decades I thought I would post a recent communication with "Flood Australia" The use of Zinseer not with standing. I still don't know between Zinseer and Penetrol.

Hello,

I would like info on your painting products.

I have an area under the house (under the floor between the bearers) that was varnished about 20 years ago. I wish to paint this varnish. Do either of these two products work for this application.

E-B Emulsa-Bond Acrylic Bonder.
ESP Easy Surface Prep

Regards Otzi

Thank you for your email.

Penetrol would be the best product to use, it acts like a primer to seal the surface and then
makes the paint stick to it. Please visit our web site for more details. www.floodaustralia.net

I omitted to mention the over coating of the varnish is to be vinyl (water based) paint. Does this change any thing?

You are fine to paint over the Penetrol with water based paint, just make sure you wait till the Penetrol is dry.

Two more questions if I may.
I am not able to sand the varnished surfaces, does this matter.

Should one use a primer over the Penetrol and if so should this primer be thinned with Penetrol also. If water based primer is used should it be thinned with an other product?

The Penetrol will act as a primer and you do not need to sand the area you wish to paint/re-vanish. Penetrol can adhere to almost any surface and when painting onto Penetrol - the paint/vanish will adhere to the Penetrol surface. If you provide me with your address I can mail you a Painting solutions booklet which explains all of our products and how/when you would use them,

Kind Regards

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...