Default Owner Builders and QLD Blue Cards

I'll be undertaking an Owner Builders course shortly and I noticed that the provider also offers the Worksite safety course (QLD Blue Card). The QLD Building Services Authority website says nothing about OB's obtaining a Blue Card.

Anyone know if I require one or not when working on my own house?
    "If something is really worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - GK Chesterton

If your working on your OWN house check with your insurance co. policies and unwritten regulations............. Tonto
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Far as I now you do not need a blue card for OB. You only need a blue card if you are working as a contractor or subbie.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

How come youes get blue?
    We got stuck with red!!!:eek:

Al

our's r green,

Bear in mind that the blue card is not administered by the building services authority but by the work place health and safety people.
    It is my understanding that they do not care who you are, if you are working on a declared construction site you need one.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

The one's in SA are green as well!
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

In QLD we have TWO blue cards - one for working in the construction industry and another for working with children (background check). Both Tom and I have blue cards, but for different reasons! Just to add to the confusion!

Cheers
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_tom
    In QLD we have TWO blue cards - one for working in the construction industry and another for working with children (background check). Both Tom and I have blue cards, but for different reasons! Just to add to the confusion!

Cheers
    Dan
    Dan I thought you would know by now that the QLD Govt never does anything that makes sense.

(from someone that has had enough with the amount of political BS on the news lately:mad
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Mines actualy puece (sp), but they call it the red card. :confused:

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Mines actualy puece (sp), but they call it the red card. :confused:

Al
    Unofficial version 1
    a certain building association had to water it down for the brickies and the union wouldn't accept it so the association changed colors.....

Unofficial version 2 - technical
    the certain association condensed the course below the designated "8 hours duration" and certain people on the the safety foundation that administers the 'red card' course had a hissy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    Bear in mind that the blue card is not administered by the building services authority but by the work place health and safety people.
    It is my understanding that they do not care who you are, if you are working on a declared construction site you need one.
    cheers
    What constitutes a declared construction worksite?
    "If something is really worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - GK Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Dion N
    What constitutes a declared construction worksite?
    If there's paid trade work happening of any kind, it's a construction worksite.

For the curious, the easiest (?) way I've found yet to obtain a blue card is online at http://www.bluedogtraining.com.au

Seventy bucks seems slightly over the top, but if you take the half day for a real course, then the cost of getting there and back, it's great value.

They don't know it, but they do a great trade in training backpacker-labourers for us.

You can log on, "enrol" and do the course at your leisure, nothing to pay till you fax them the certificates with your credit card details. So if you haven't a clue, you may spend a number of hours going through the thing, if you know a bit .

Well worth playing with, even if you don't need a card, and if you are even thinking of owner building, you should consider it compulsory general knowledge.

The good thing about this system is that at least some of the training now gets to the bottom of the chain, and of course some responsiblity. The bad thing... well the whole chain of command is still responsible for what an idiot can do while no one is looking.

Cheers,

P (Not bluedog affilliated in any way)

Quote Originally Posted by dan_tom

Cheers
    Dan
    Actually, there's three blue cards in Qld: Working with children card; building trade contractor's licence card and the general safety induction card for construction sites. No doubt someone will post with another one!

BTW, Midge $70 sounds pretty reasonable, from memory QMBA charges the same or more and you lose more than half a day.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938