Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Do it yourself lino laying?

Okay, after much humming and haaring and tooing and froing...Ive decided to stick a lino floor down in the workshop.

A question for the gurus in here...is laying a lino floor within the capabilties of a do it yourselfer or should I leave it to a tradesperson?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Just do it my friend. It is not very hard.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

One little word of warning, beware of cheap vinyl tiles, the glue is attrcious and the damned things creep in the summer leaving a sticky residue in the gaps that all the dirt adheres to beautifully.
    We went down this track when we sold our house and in a matter of about three weeks there were gaps up to 3/8" wide in high traffic areas.
    Apart from that, like Wongo says, it really is not that hard having done the bathroom in a single piece.
    We used taped up pieces of newspaper as a floor template and it worked well, any final trimming can be done with a stanley knife.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Thumbs down

are you MAD ,don,t you realise you are working in a room with tiny little particles of wood (dust) around you and that constitutes a VERY DANGEROUS mix of components with a shiny floor ,how about leaving the concrete as it is and being involved in this forum for a while longer than hope that the hospital bed you find yourself in has internet access !
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Quote Originally Posted by arms
    are you MAD ,don,t you realise you are working in a room with tiny little particles of wood (dust) around you and that constitutes a VERY DANGEROUS mix of components with a shiny floor ,how about leaving the concrete as it is and being involved in this forum for a while longer than hope that the hospital bed you find yourself in has internet access !
    Dont quite follow your argument there Arms...youre saying that the proces of sweeping a lino floor raises more dust than sweeping a concrete surface?.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

No, Arms is saying that fine wood dust on a smooth surface will make it slippery.

I have a stippled glossy epoxy finish, and it is a pretty slick (as in slippery) surface, and yes sawdust does make it a little less sticky , however the benefits of ease of cleaning and staying that way far outweigh the (slight) additional risk.

This is not a commercial environment we are talking about, and you will quickly become aware of how cautious you need to be!!

It's a fair point, but not one to be overly concerned about in my view, and the vinyl will give the place an amazing lift!

I find that wearing bare feet, rubber thongs, or joggers depending on the weather does improve grip over the leather soled dancing shoes!

Cheers,

P

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo
    Dont quite follow your argument there Arms...youre saying that the proces of sweeping a lino floor raises more dust than sweeping a concrete surface?.
    no i am saying that the floor WILL be very slippery ,i have rented a workshop in one of my former lives with a vinyl floor and ended up spraying contact over the floor to get a firm footing,the point i am trying to make to you is ,a clean floor means nothing when you have had an accident on a slippery floor
    please consider
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Quote Originally Posted by arms
    no i am saying that the floor WILL be very slippery ,i have rented a workshop in one of my former lives with a vinyl floor and ended up spraying contact over the floor to get a firm footing,the point i am trying to make to you is ,a clean floor means nothing when you have had an accident on a slippery floor
    please consider
    Point taken Tom...thanks for your input.

Okay, after due consideration to the risks involved Ive now decided to go for a velcro floor with matching velcro soled shoes. Might do the walls as well.....will make reaching those top shelves a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo
    Okay, after due consideration to the risks involved Ive now decided to go for a velcro floor with matching velcro soled shoes. Might do the walls as well.....will make reaching those top shelves a breeze.
    But what if you dropped a chisel or something really heavy? You wouldn't be able to move your foot out of the way quickly enough to avoid a nasty accident.

I suppose you could do the ceiling in velcro as well, and hang off it?

P

And you could also hang yer table saw and router table on the ceiling and have more space on the floor.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com