This couple of posts are about DIY air-conditioner installation based on my experience installing a 2.6kw split system and a 7.5kw ducted system in my home.

It will consist of three parts (planning, preparation, installation) for a split system. I will follow up with details about my ducted installation if there is any interest. I have posted here because this (well actually the woodworking forum) was one of the few places I found any info when I was looking for some diy info.

What is involved
Installation of air-conditioning systems involve the physical installation of the indoor and outdoor units, connecting them together with insulated copper pipes, and in the case of a ducted system, the installation of ducts and diffusers. The electrical aspect of the installation must be done by a licensed electrician. Some special tools are required to fabricate and connect the pipework, more on this later.

Other options
While these posts are about doing the entire installation (other than electrical connection), you could do all of the grunt work yourself and leave the part requiring special skills and tools for an installer to complete. You need to find an installer willing to work this way, then meet him on-site to make sure you both agree on how the installation will proceed.

Warning
Obviously any DIY installation involves some risk of it all going pair-shaped. The installation requires planning, cleanliness, and careful checking. There is a small possibility of damage to the compressor, though it is unlikely if you heed the warnings in the installation instruction leaflet. If the air-conditioner develops a leak you will need to pay someone to purge the system, and refill with refrigerant. You may be in limbo if the unit fails because the warranty requires installation by a licensed fitter.

(This is my first post here so lets hope it all goes to plan...)

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...