Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Kids Behaviours, who is to blame?

I have had a hell of a last few days and in addition to the fact that I need to vent I thought it might be interesting to get some opinions. As many would know I am a primary teacher. In the last two days I have been acting admin and have had the need to suspend 4 kids yesterday and 4 again today (different kids). On both days I have been kicked, hit and sworn at with language that would make most of you blush. This is in addition to other instances on the two days that have included having chairs thrown at me, attempts at desks thrown at me, water squirted in my face, spat on and having to physically restrain kids. Lets just say that today ended with the police in attendance, and that was from another student related issue that was not mentioned above.

The consensus usually is that the behaviours are generally learnt at home and many of these kids come from difficult environments. The behaviours are so ingrained that despite the kids knowing they are supported at school and that you genuinely care for them, they will turn in an instant. But realistically where does the buck stop, who can fix it?

Personally, I really feel for the kids who take on board the support they get at my school and work to better themselves with so much negative distraction within the classroom. I believe that the current politically correct agender that insists that all students be allowed to attend regular schools is stealing knowledge from many kids who want to learn at school. I think that most of society is unaware of the current goings on within the school system in many low demographic areas and if they new the truth, change would be demanded.

Ahhhh, that feels better, rant over, now to go and arrange the interschool team

I blame my parents generation. They let us get away with too much and didn't flog us regularly enough just to stop any future, unforeseen mischief.
    My 11 year old is no trouble, as his mum mostly raised him from 3-7 with me being absent for extended periods.
    My 5 and 3 year olds are absolute menaces. We are trying desparately and have had some success with 5yr old, but little with bubby girl.
    Actually, 11yr old just won a gold and bronze medal for interschool chess competition
    Last edited by Gingermick; 18th September 2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: proud of him
    Mick

avantguardian

I feel for you. I was a pretty bad kid for my teachers, and they were allowed use corporal punishment.
    Keep up the good work,
    TM

i had dusters thrown at me
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    My 11 year old is no trouble, as his mum mostly raised him from 3-7 with me being absent for extended periods.
    My 5 and 3 year olds are absolute menaces. We are trying desparately and have had some success with 5yr old, but little with bubby girl.
    Actually, 11yr old just won a gold and bronze medal for interschool chess competition
    Funny that you say that as I have seen that despite good intentions by many parents the kids are so far off the rails it isn't funny. I think alot of that comes from what they watch on televison, has anyone ever actually sat down and thought about what messages are being sent out to the kids by the crap they watch these days. I must say I didn't until I started teaching and I must say that it makes me cringe when I see some of what is on the Simpsons as know I will see it put in to practice the very next day by those in my class who watched it.

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

you dont work in an ED unit do you?
    S T I R L O

Quote Originally Posted by ss_11000 View Post
    you dont work in an ED unit do you?
    No, a regular primary school, such is my rant, we need ed units, these kids in regular schools just disrupts others and stops them from learning. The teachers who were around before the ed units here were disbanded said that it was a much better system, but now we are all equal and inclusive

My Mother gave up teaching because of the kids today.

Its a real problem, they expect you to more or less raise the children for them but also jump heavily on the teachers for applying any discipline.

Bring back the cane!

The cane although deemed barbaric by many is a far less serious consequence than hospital, jail or death, which are the only lmiits placed on modern children.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    I have seen that despite good intentions by many parents the kids are so far off the rails it isn't funny.
    On the weekend a mate explained it all to me. It's just that kids these days are so smart, much smarter than we were, or our kids for that matter.

They understand logic and reasoning at two and three, so if they misbehave parents just explain why they should stop......

Our parents, (and we) weren't blessed with such intelligence in our offspring, with the result that a well placed thump seemed to make a point in a way that our dumb kids who weren't so advanced could understand.

They understood there was a consequence for their actions, and if they continued to do something, had to decide if it was worth paying the price.

That's all that's needed.

P

There's the old adage: "spare the rod, spoil the child."

Most modern parents disagree. I s'pose they consider it "just coincidence" that they're the ones with problem kids...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    Funny that you say that as I have seen that despite good intentions by many parents the kids are so far off the rails it isn't funny.

Isn't the road to hell paved with good intentions?

I absolutely don't blame the kids. Follow their behaviour home and you'll find a pair of feral parents (or maybe one).

What chance do these children have: they're genetically tied to, and socially influenced by, out of control nutcase parents.

Kids from normal, decent families don't behave like those described by Burnsy, because we won't let them, will we? If one of my kids abused a teacher they'd return home to weeks of fire and brimstone.

Who is to blame the government that stop smacking your children. My mother would lock me and my brother in a room till our father came tell him to belt us and that is what happened took his belt off and belted us we wet our selfs waiting for the punishment. No tea off to bed an hour later our mum would bring in our tea saying don't tell your dad. If that happened today what would be the outcome.
    les

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    Kids from normal, decent families don't behave like those described by Burnsy, because we won't let them, will we? If one of my kids abused a teacher they'd return home to weeks of fire and brimstone.
    I thought this was pretty standard as it was how I was raised, but it is definitely not where I am.

Some quotes from parents: "he gets board easily, you need to entertain him"
    "I don't really care if he can't read or write, as long as he does not walk down the street and stab someone"

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

I absolutely don't blame the kids..
    why not, the parents can only do so much and most parents are careful with their kids while they are young. most of the time, kids are either spastic or just showing off. most will know better but just want to muck up cos its fun and the other kids will think more of them the further they push the boundries. with the teachers to scared to hand out suitable punishments, the kids think they can get away with it, so the idea of doing more troublesome things evolve and things just go from there.

i blame me for my behaviour, cos i know better ( most of the time )so i blame kids for their behaviour. kids need to take responsibility for their actions and take the consequences. i will mostly take a consequence unless it is unfair or i am right and i can prove it ( which most of the time i can prove it...sometimes i can even prove it when i am wrong )

but having said that, things can influence the way kids act, like tv, games, and others. i cant really ellaborate on my thoughts cos half of it is probably bulldust and its to hard to put into words anyone but me would understand.

so basically, you cant IMHO just not blame the kids at all, they do have something to do with their lives and they mostly have a choice. they have a choice not to throw the chair at the teacher, they have a choice not to watch those shows, they have a choice not to hang around that gang etc

cheers

ps. i sound like an idiot dont I
    S T I R L O