Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Shellac Finish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shellac Finish

Hi all,
    I have a couple of really basic questions that I was hoping someone may help me with.
    1) The finish that uses shellac and then traditional wax buffed over the top. Is that all that is needed? Does this finish need any future maintenance? eg rewaxing? How durable is this type of finish?
    2) I have just purchased a mop to have a go at the shellac finish. Whats the best way of looking after it? What do I do with it inbetween coats of shellac? Should I clean it each time with alcohol and dry it?

Thanking all in advance.

regards
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Neil did a very good article in Australian Wood Review a few issues back ... I have tried the techniques and found that it works really well ...

just to add a little more ... I used the technique on a jarrah mirror frame. I applied a few coats of shelac and rubbed it back ever so lightly between coats and then finished with a wax. I gave the mirror away so I haven't seen how the finish has held up but I was very impressed when I had finished. I am looking at applying the same finish to my wine rack (blackwood) in a week or so. I will read with interest the comments you receive.

Stinky.
    Last edited by Sir Stinkalot; 21st May 2003 at 11:47 PM.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Post Thanks / Like

You make it sound so easy! .. But yes thats basically all thats needed.
    Future maintanance is required, though how much is dependant on how good a job you do to start with.

Stinky offers good advice, If you can get a copy of teh article Neil wrote it will help you greatly with this task, otherwise get a copy of his book.

Cheers.