Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Possible Finish Issue

I have a question involving Pine.

Picked up some Radiata Pine wood on Sunday for a project that I am doing. I picked up two pieces of board each in lenght on 2.1 meters. I have one that is giving a very sticky substance or more like a sticky feel when I run my hand over the board.

The questions that I have what would be causing this stickyness? Is this going to warp as a result of this sticky substance? What should I be preparing for in order to work the wood for the project. Now for the most important question and the reason that this thread is in this location. What should be the finish that I apply in order not to cause a problem in the future.

This is going to be indoor furniture.

Thank you

Pine resin Christos, due to the warmth of weather, and the fact that in the southern hemisphere, the winters aren't cold enough to force the trees to sequester the bulk of it in the roots where it is a little more protected from freezing and damaging the transport cells through expansion. That you can feel it in one particular place probably means that there is a more porous section of wood in the first place, but you will almost always get a little, especially if there is a fairly big section (thickness) to the timber. I've got a table I made from Douglas Fir that still exudes tiny beads from the end grain (mostly) during summer. If left to itself, they oxidise like little lumps of amber, going hard and brittle on the outside, but still sticky if you rub them with a warm finger..
    Will it warp because of it? Well, a perfect piece should only really exude out cut fibres, ie mostly in the ends, and a little on the other faces. Sections that "leak" laterally mean that there is either a strong misalignment (?) of the grain (well, a wobble, if you like), or that there is some malformation or damage. The resin indicates this rather than causes it, but it could indicate a weakness in the timber due to one of these other characteristics. Having said that, I would say if the timber appears and feels sound to you now, it will probably stay that way.

Or, the short answer: No, it's probably fine

Bill
    Chipslinger

Thank you for the responce.

I have given it some thought over the few days that I purchased the wood and decided to cut the board and see how it goes. Well I cut this three days ago to get the rough dimensions that I wanted for the project. The shorter pieces are fine but the longer 1meter by 20mm piece curved so much that I could attach a string and use it for a bow.

I will be getting more wood.