Our house, circa 1950's, still has an outside outhouse toilet building although the toilet has long gone. The house is now connected to the main sewer that runs along the primary road.

I was digging a few metres behind the no longer functioning outhouse and found the brick septic tank for it. It had been filled in with rubble and dirt. There is also terracotta pipe which travels from the septic tank (2nd small chamber) to a lot of stones 50mm size below ground near the house. I have taken location measurements and removed the rubble. I then put down small blue metal stones at the bottom to cover the residual water (the water starts about 600mm below ground level and is around 400mm deep. I have no idea if the septic tank has a concrete bottom or not. I do know that our property has clay (reactive).

The septic tank is not very big (it was only used for the single outhouse toilet).

We want to build a granny flat above where the septic tank is located. The granny flat will probably be built using brick piers on concrete pads.

Would appreciate feedback on how one builds over an abandoned brick septic tank,

Also, could a septic tank be reused as a stormwater tank?

thanks

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...