Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Extending patio - how to support roof?

Gday guys,

As some of you now know, we own a lot of reptiles. We have a whole bunch of Blue Tongues, Shinglebacks, Eastern Water Dragons, Cunningham Skinks and Bearded Dragons that really need an outdoor enclosure, as they take up way too much room in our already small house.

I have the perfect spot to build one - right under the balcony out the front. But to do this, I first have to extend it out to be flush with the front of the house. I'm going to ditch all of the existing balcony and start again, using Cypress Pine (the whole house is built from Cypress, Dad says this is a good thing and is one of the reasons we bought it). The only two problems I can think of are...1) Stopping the roof above the balcony from sagging or falling off when I remove the uprights and 2) extending the roof out to cover the newly extended balcony.

Can anyone offer some ideas on how to get around this problem? Photos will be attached soon.

Cheers

Jonno

Photo 1 -

I want to bring the entire balcony out to be flush with the front of the house (extreme left of photo). The stairs will be turned 180, so the bottom will be beside the driveway, and the platform will be at the right of the balcony.

Photo 2 -

Underneath the stairs.

Photo 3 -

As you can see, the current balcony was slapped together pretty quick. It will make for fast demolition though.

Photo 4 -

The three green uprights need to be removed obviously, so there will be nothing supporting the roof...which is the main problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno L
    The only two problems I can think of are...1) Stopping the roof above the balcony from sagging or falling off when I remove the uprights and 2) extending the roof out to cover the newly extended balcony.

That’s like saying I need to build a bridge over Sydney harbour, and the only problem that I can see is building it. Help please.

Well yes. You need to support that roof, and whatever you use to support it has to carry the part that you’re extending as well. It may well be easier and cheaper to tear off that part of the roof and re build it all so it spans to the front of the house. It’s less than 3.6 metres in that direction so it’s no problems. It’s almost 6 metres in the other direction so you’d need a very big beam to span that distance.
    I can think of two ways to do it whilst leaving the existing roof, but I’ve got no idea how the roof is structured at the moment, or how those posts are supporting it inside the roof.
    Stand back and take a pic so it’s apparent what shape the roof is over the deck, and I may be able to give some ideas.
    Of course you should get someone who knows what they’re doing to investigate it thoroughly and give you an estimate. then if you're happy they can draw up some plans for submission to your council. Since it’s at the front of your house, you’re not likely to get away with just building it without approval.

So I need council approval to simply extend the balcony?

(Take it easy on me, I'm new!)

pawnhead,

I just reread your post and I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I have full intentions of supporting the roof after the deck is finished, but my problem is that I think I need to support it while the deck is been built. An acro prop wouldn't work because it would get in the way. I can't imagine the roof being that weak that it wouldn't just hang there for a couple of days until the new deck is in place and we can whack an acro prop underneath it, until such time as we extend or replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno L View Post
    So I need council approval to simply extend the balcony?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno L View Post
    pawnhead,

I just reread your post and I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I have full intentions of supporting the roof after the deck is finished, but my problem is that I think I need to support it while the deck is been built.
    Why? If you don't mind the posts then why don't you leave them there whilst you extend the deck? Just rip up the old decking and lay down some new stuff when you've added on to it.

I'm not sure what your trying to achieve here.

Gday mate,

I want to replace the lot. The metal poles, the joists, everything will be taken out and replaced. When I take it all out there will be nothing for the posts to sit on. Everything that is currently associated with the current front deck will be replaced.

Cheers
    Jonno

Well assuming that it’s not a flat roof at the moment, and assuming that it’s not trussed since the place looks older than that, and assuming that you want a new ceiling all the way through, I’d start by getting inside the roof and seeing if it’s supported by the outside wall. If it’s not then I’d put a 4X3 purlin under the rafters and prop it up off the wall at about 1.2 metre centres. I’d position it so that the props are on an angle leaning out perpendicular to the pitch of the roof and brace them back with a cleat on the ceiling joists, or notched directly into the ceiling joist.

Then I’d strip the ceiling, gutter, fascia, and I’d take the tiles off everything past the purlin. Then I’d remove the ceiling joists and save them for noggings and short studs. Then I’d pull out the beam and posts. Lever it off, or cut the nails with a hacksaw blade or recipro. The rafters shouldn’t fall down then because it’s just a few sticks cantilevering in the air. You can re-use your beams as battens if you want to rip them.

Then I’d design the new deck and roof to span to the outside since it’s less than 3.6 metres in that direction and I’d put a beam across the front in two spans of just under 3 metres each. I’d put the upper rafters in level and use them as a level ceiling. I’d put graduated battens on studs on top at a 5 degree pitch and install a metal roof that goes up under the old rafters. Then I’d chock up the old rafters off the new ones, and I’d replace all the tiles I’d taken off when I started.

Then you’ve got no posts anywhere, and you can re-build your staircase, or re-use the old one.

The other alternative is to install a huge beam in the six metre direction to support the roof before you start demolishing, but that would be crazy. Major hassle and expense, and it doesn’t really help with the extensions much.