Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default another electrical cabling question

Hi All

Presently doing major reno on our house. Have pulled gyprock of the back of the power supply box so thought it appropriate to lay cable to get rid of some arial cables.

Presently I have arial cable between my garage which is at street level and the house which has the roof at street level. We have a concrete bridge between the garage and the house which provides the access to the front door, which is located in the top story.

Basically down the track we are replacing the bridge and some steps up to the garage and I want to run electrical cable that supplies the house in conduit slung under the bridge and then follow the stairs on the side.

It is not possible to lay cables underground as it is an extremely rocky block with many rock outcrops.

Under the regulations is it permitted to have the electrical supply located in conduit and affixed as descibed?

Cheers

If its your Mains that your talking about, then i very much doubt that you would be allowed to run it surface, actually it would be insane in my point of view. I cant quite remember what the deal is with mains, but i think it has to be 600mm underground or 300mm if its concreted over. like i said im not too sure with mains best to maybe ring someone who has a copy of the code of standards or energex.

Hi Handyandy,

There are no specific rules regarding exactly what you can or must do. Generally you need protect the cable in conduit if it is in an accessible area and it needs appropriate protection from the elements, eg corrugated conduit is not really enough for a fully exposed area. You also need to fix the conduit at regular intervals about 200 to 400mm in practice. There is nothing insane about running a submains in conduit above ground... this is very common. You may want to upsize the wire though, use AS3008 or a sparky.

Cheers
    Pulse