Default painting new plaster

We have recently added a room and it was plastered in November. Keen to get painting but plasterer has recommended that it be left 6 months to cure. Painters disagree and say it could be painted now! What say the forum?

Buttercup.
    when you say "plastered" do you mean plasterboard with taped and flushed joints or solid/fibrous plaster. If it is the latter, and there's been a lot of moisture put into the brickwork and you have a fairly cool and wet climate then it may be that your plasterer is erring on the side of caution, but even so it seems pretty unlikely that it wouldn't have dried out yet. If it's plasterboard then it's well and truly dry.

Mick

Mick, it's soild plaster. Yes...I was thinking along your lines. We are in Perth and have just had our usual hot summer with not a rain drop in sight (more's the pity!).

Buttercup.
    when you say "plastered" do you mean plasterboard with taped and flushed joints or solid/fibrous plaster. If it is the latter, and there's been a lot of moisture put into the brickwork and you have a fairly cool and wet climate then it may be that your plasterer is erring on the side of caution, but even so it seems pretty unlikely that it wouldn't have dried out yet. If it's plasterboard then it's well and truly dry.

Mick

Originally posted by Buttercup
    Mick, it's soild plaster. Yes...I was thinking along your lines. We are in Perth and have just had our usual hot summer with not a rain drop in sight (more's the pity!).
    Hi Buttercup

I'm also in Perth. I was told (many years ago) to wait three months prior to painting. I checked with my brother (registered builder) on this and he said that builders paint internal walls sometimes (in summer) only 2 weeks after plastering (probably a little too soon). Anyway they should be well and truly dry by now.

BTW It is recommended that you use an oil based sealer prior to painting. This is what the Painters Registration Board is advising professional painters.

Regards

Peter

blaah...oil based paint...but makes sense. thanks Mick...I mean Peter.

Hi Buttercup

I agree with Peter about the oil-based sealer.

Hardwall plaster is a thing of the past in Perth. The stuff builders use now is as soft as.......and chips and nicks really easily. The oil-based sealers are fairly thin and penetrate the plaster really well, leaving it less susceptible to damage than would be the case with water-based sealers.

Whilst oil-based sealer is a pain in the butt to use and stinks for a few days, it really is essential if you want a good end result.

Cheers

Geoff