Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default collecting literature

Another facet of the metalworking hobby is collecting books and literature pertaining to metalwork tooling .Some of the larger tool makers published elaborate catalogues eg Brown Sharpe , M&W , Starrett to name a few .

Anyone here into that stuff ?

I have only a few volumes: Starrett, Deckel and Lufkin catalogues, and texts from Brown & Sharpe and Cincinatti. The next book I'd like to get is a recent McMaster-Carr master catalogue. There's a world of stuff out there that is best discovered trolling through an old fashioned printed book.

Greg
    It's all part of the service here at The House of Pain™

Default collecting literature

Quote Originally Posted by morrisman View Post
    Another facet of the metalworking hobby is collecting books and literature pertaining to metalwork tooling .Some of the larger tool makers published elaborate catalogues eg Brown Sharpe , M&W , Starrett to name a few .

Anyone here into that stuff ?
    Heavily into that Mike. More on engineering than the elaborate catalogues.

Phil

I have a bit of that kind of stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HI,

I love the old text/reference books. I've only have a few like a 1930's How to Run a Lathe by Southbend, a Hercus one, some old shaper books etc. But I'm always looking for new additions, in fact bought myself Australian Tools and Old Tools for Xmas.

I think the older machinists/mechanical engineers were the true innovators of our trade, they had to rely on their wits not computers to do the work. I also like looking at what companies sold.

Cheers Ben.

Default Henry ford Trade School

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    I have a bit of that kind of stuff.
    Bob
    I have a bunch of books also.
    However, the one that caught my eye was the "Shop Theory ,Henry Ford Trade School" A great book with a wealth of knowledge contained in those pages.
    Once again Have a great Christmas !
    regards
    Bruce

I have the Henry Ford books too...shop theory and shop drawing. The Australian fitting and turning text books are very good as well, except my editions which were just post-metric and written in an early ISO numerical scheme which was abandoned for good reason. No commas in numbers.

Moore Special Tools published a dandy series of books. My favourite books are the metrology texts; "Practical Metrology, and "Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology"**. Do-All also did a text that I am looking for.

My biggest disapointment in book hunting was visiting the celebrated King used book store in Detroit. An old time eight floor warehouse full of books. The engineering section was about ten feet of shelf with one volume worth buying.

GQ...Merry Christmas boys.

**on edit: by Ted Busch, not the others.
    Last edited by Greg Q; 24th December 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Clarity

Default a few books

A few books . I must be a book machinist

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Q View Post
    I have the Henry Ford books too...shop theory and shop drawing. The Australian fitting and turning text books are very good as well, except my editions which were just post-metric and written in an early ISO numerical scheme which was abandoned for good reason. No commas in numbers.

Moore Special Tools published a dandy series of books. My favourite books are the metrology texts; "Practical Metrology, and "Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology"**. Do-All also did a text that I am looking for.

My biggest disapointment in book hunting was visiting the celebrated King used book store in Detroit. An old time eight floor warehouse full of books. The engineering section was about ten feet of shelf with one volume worth buying.

GQ...Merry Christmas boys.

**on edit: by Ted Busch, not the others.
    Gregor,

I have a couple of DoALLs. "Quality Control with DoALL Gages and Gage Instruments" from '45 and "the Science of Precision Measurement" from 1953. Yours to borrow when you are over next.

My favourite has to be Wayne Moore's Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy. The book is a work of art. I need to post a few photos to whet a few appetites.

All the Best Fellas.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Gregor,

I have a couple of DoALLs. "Quality Control with DoALL Gages and Gage Instruments" from '45 and "the Science of Precision Measurement" from 1953. Yours to borrow when you are over next.

My favourite has to be Wayne Moore's Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy. The book is a work of art. I need to post a few photos to whet a few appetites.

All the Best Fellas.

BT
    Thanks BT! Since you showed me your copy of "Foundations..." I have been looking for a copy. The PDF does not do it justice at all. As you pointed out, the illustrations were made at the peak of the art of technical publishing. The depth and richness of the artwork is sobering. Worth the price of ownership just to be able to know the high water mark, both in content and media.

Greg. The FP2 is in MEL, but alas, I am not.

Default not cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Q View Post
    Thanks BT! Since you showed me your copy of "Foundations..." I have been looking for a copy. The PDF does not do it justice at all. As you pointed out, the illustrations were made at the peak of the art of technical publishing. The depth and richness of the artwork is sobering. Worth the price of ownership just to be able to know the high water mark, both in content and media.

Greg. The FP2 is in MEL, but alas, I am not.

Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy. by Moore, Wayne R.: The Moore Special Tool Company., Bridgeport, Ct. Gray cloth, black titles., 1st Edition. - Zephyr Books Inc

That book is available but it is very expensive ... there are a few copies on ABE books

Quote Originally Posted by morrisman View Post
    I do see it advertised frequently for over $200 used which makes me laugh as it is " only" $150 new from Moore.

Greg

Here's a taste for those that haven't seen Wayne Moore's book up close.

Default Collecting literature

One of my most treasured posessions is 'The engineers year-book. 1903'. It is not in good condition and needs careful handling. It was given to me by an old Toolmaker I worked with during my apprenticeship. It had been given to him by another toolmaker. There is a stamp "W Inglis" on one of the pages, next to the price, 8s. I have bought a couple of newer engineers yearbooks since. I also like the old Mcphersons catalogues and the Henry Ford trade books among others. I enjoy looking at the adverts and the gadgets of the time and to read the names that still exist.

Old welding literature is great to read as it developed.

I guess it is a collection!!

I'm really glad I started looking through my old books again, I just found a Brown & Sharpe Mfg catalogue 137 I forgot I had. I'm not sure how to work out its age, but it is a great catalogue, everything from machine tools and attachments to measuring gear.

I was surprised how interested the kids are with the 1903 yearbook, even the ones here that aren't mine!. Now to find the last book I got about English machine tools.

I'll try and get one of these kids to help me put up some pics.