Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Famed James Groom, is still in business.

James, a famed metal polisher, is still in business in West Heidelberg.

Last time I called in, the factory was locked up with a For Lease sign out the front.
    Friday's, James knocks off at midday, the For lease Sign was for a factory at the front.

My last visit was on a Friday. Now that that's sorted, let me tell you what I discovered today.

In a previous Post, I talked about 3M Scotchbrite finishing wheels, this was my topic with James, black faced and wearing a mask. "Yep, use em all the time" was his response.

"Got an old one I can try out"? "Nope, but I can sell you a new one". That's how the conversation started. James dragged me up to his stock cupboard, and showed me the various types. These pads are moroon in colour, and about 6" in dia.

Some pads were 3 layers thick, say 20mm, others, thicker. Some were a fine grade, others more aggressive. "They are not cheap". I held my breath and asked.
    "For you, $20 each, they cost me $15". OK.

Back to polishing, questions, questions, questions.

To remove the rust, James recommended using the course Scotchtbrite wheel. The finish produced is like brushed stainless. A quick change of wheels produced a finer finish, quite pleasing. His tip was, "don't apply too much pressure".

Off with that wheel, and on with a stitched sisal wheel and some black compound with the trademark Ferro. Now we are getting somewhere. Gone were all the scratches and blemishes smoothed out in a matter of seconds. I reckoned that looked pretty good until James swapped the buff over to the calico one.
    With green compound, up came a mirror finish.

James pointed out the overhead lights, white fluorescent, apparently they highlight every blemish.

It was a great visit, I walked out with one fine Scotchbrite wheel, one course Scotchbrite wheel, one block of black compound, and an assortment of used polishing pads.

On leaving, I enquired "Don't you get sick of this"? "Nup, love it"

Jame was happy for me to mention him on this forum.

I have to go back in a day or so, and will take some before and after shots of a professional at work.

Ken

Good to hear.
    I'd say you got more then $5 worth of advice

Stuart

What is the name of the business? You can pm me if you like.

We do the majority of our polishing in house but we have a couple of subcontractors that do our overflow work and don't mind seeing what other options are out there.
    www.methodmetal.com.au

method m.

James's business is,

J A Groom Metal Polisher

33 Mologa Road, West Heidelberg, VIC 3081
    p: (03) 9459 1743

I'm sure James will be happy to take your call.

Ken