Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Strange behaviour of CFL's

Hi all
    In another forum of which I am a member, two people have reported compact fluorescent lamps which flicker/flash very faintly when they are not turned on. The interval is about one second in one case and six to seven seconds in the other. The effect is very subtle and can only be seen in total darkness. Has anybody here heard of or come across this phenomenon?
    Thanks
    Rob

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Not surprising. All of the CFL's have a capacitor or two inside as part of the circuitry of the starter. Capacitors are broadly a form of battery and they discharge when not under power. Perhaps what people are seeing is the capacitor discharging under limitations dictated by the circuit design (which might explain the flashing)

So the effect should diminish as the capacitors discharge but apparently, what these people are seeing is continuous. I have fifteen CFL's throughout my house and I have never seen this effect.

Do they have high voltage power lines nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Do they have high voltage power lines nearby?
    It sounds to me like a HV induced problem. It's something that's caught me a couple of times, but not on lighting circuits.

I have a compact fluro in my bedroom and have noticed the flickering when its pitch black. Usually after the light has been on for most of the night. My guess, like others, is the capacitors discharging. The flashing only lasted for a short period and did not continue all night.

Yes!..I have the same effect with two wall lights in the loungeroom, funny thing is we spend all of our time in the family room and seldom turn these lighte on. We have this type of globe throught out the house and these are the only two that do this?..

We have no HV lines near by that I am aware of unless you count the ones nearly 1/2 a K away. I asked my electrician and he said it was just a side effect of this type of lighting and not to worry about it, also it only happens under a particular set of circumstances, not all will do it.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Get the household earth checked
    Are they all on the same circuit if so check the the switch is switching off the active and not the neutral
    And if on the same circuit check the all the lights are corrected with the active on the light to the active on the circuit.
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    Get the household earth checked
    Are they all on the same circuit if so check the the switch is switching off the active and not the neutral
    And if on the same circuit check the all the lights are corrected with the active on the light to the active on the circuit.
    Good advise, I had mine checked out, and if anything is odd with electricity get an electrician in to look at it, better be out of pocket a few buck's than risk yourself or a family member. I was lucky as I had my bloke there doing another job and he looked at it for nothing.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

We have a nylon bedspread that does that in the dark when you flick it backwards and forwards.

Do you think I should get a sparky to check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    We have a nylon bedspread that does that in the dark when you flick it backwards and forwards.

Do you think I should get a sparky to check it out?
    No!..But I'd be having a few words with the chambermaid!....
    savage(Eric)

House Goblins?

Electric Blanket!....:eek:
    savage(Eric)