Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Non toxic finish for Excema

Hi there

I am in the middle of preparing to re-lay two rooms in my house with Matai T+G and I need to find a non toxic finish for the floors as my kids have excema, I wish we could go away for a week but that isn't an option. The low odour, lack of toxicity and quick drying times are the most important factors, but unfortunately so is the cost.

Kia ora Bro,
    Give this company a look up in nz, if you scroll down you will see a nz contact number. Intergrain is a fine product. You wont have problems and it is not expensive. www.woodart.com.au/a_intergrain05.htm

Unhappy

Not having any luck with Intergrain rep, any other suggestions?

Hi bro, you could try your local floor sanding supplier, and ask about water based polyurathanes. They are classed as non toxic.

A problem may be that Matai doesn't react well to normal polyurethane because of it's natural oils.
    There are special formulations for Matia / Rimu / Totara.
    Personally I would leave it a few months (warmer weather) so you can open the house up and let the fumes out. The curing will be faster in the warm weather too. Being stuck inside with a freshly finished floor is not going to nice for anyone with this weather

Cheers

Ian

understood, Here is a good thing, Water bourne poly has little or no air bourne fumes. And the ones that are their is basicly moisture (water). It is the water that is released that allows the polurathane polimers to bind. It is the water in it that keeps it as a liquid. When the water in it evaporates into the air , it hardens. So all you will get in the air as it dries is water.

Also, water based poly dries very veruy fast. Within one hour it is dry enough to open any window and allow any air bourne substance to escape.
    Also their are no oils in it , polyurathane is plastic.
    I believe that it would be safe for your whanau. I will find a msds sheet on it for you and post to you the data.

Look up www.polycure.com.au
    Scroll down to products , then scroll down to water based coatings and check out aquapro range. The data sheets are avail on each of the products. Then scroll down to distributors and at the bottom their is a address for a nz company in auckland.

Default Yay

Looks like I am on the right track, I printed a couple of Aquapro datasheets off last night. Hopefully I have more luck with their reps. I still have a wee way to go with the Matai floor (it's still stacked in the garage, since it's too damn cold to lift the rimu/particle board:mad: :mad: what a :mad: :mad: waste !!!! floor in the dining area) but I want to have all of the neccessary products to finish the job before SWMBO and the rugrats can stain the new flooring.

i am sure you will do fine