Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lock 'em up and throw away the key or hang 'em.

I've never been pro-capital punishment but some people just shouldn't be allowed back in the community. There's a bloke who was recently released on parole after serving 27 years for serial paedophile offences. He breached his parole conditions last week when he was found consorting with another paedophile. He didn't turn up at a police station yesterday morning as required under his parole conditions. The police located him over 1000kms away in Home Hill (near Townsville). Obviously the low life can't help himself and is not able to be rehabilitated. I'm all for the rights of the individual but they shouldn't impact on the rights of society as a whole. I reckon people like this can only be satisfactorily dealt with by capital punishment or lifetime incarceration. When is the bloody government going to draw up legislation which reflects our society's values?

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Mick,

I just read a good reply to the Work Harassment thread. There it was suggested that by being informed and not acting on an issue could be seen as condoning the act.

I wonder if that also applies to politicians and judges not taking the word of the public seriously about paedophiles? I hope not.
    - Wood Borer

thats bloody scary
    Mick

avantguardian

Most professionals now agree that the majority (if not all) of paedophiles cannot be cured. Period. There is legislation here in the States such that when a paedophile's gaol term is expired, he can then be sent to a mental institution for life as an incurable mental patient. But it is being challenged (of course) so don't know if it will last.
    Cheers,

Bob

give them a choice incarceration or castration
    les

I heard an amazing statement from a former attorney-general here (well, attributed to him) that prison is nothing to do with punishment... that society has moved on. I don't think 99% of Kiwis actually believe that but that is the (scary) official line, despite record prison populations. I think we also closed the asylums for the criminally insane on the grounds they are just mis-understood people who had a bad upbringing. This is a bit of a problem, overall!
    1st in Woodwork (1961)

I think capital punishment only makes perpetrators of the enforcers, Im with Les, castrate or incarcerate,

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Hang 'em.

Why stuff around.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

The Catholic church has a lot to answer to as well. It's unnatural to expect their priests to be 'married to God', and thus not allowed to take a wife.

They really ought to get much tougher with perpetrators. The reaction on all message boards that I've seen is the same. People are revolted, and disgusted, and want more action taken against these scum. In many cases it's a vicious circle, with the perpetrators themselves having been abused as children. But of course that's no excuse, so I'm with Les; 'incarceration or castration'.

Start a new penal colony, at the south pole, that should cool them down
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Default Incarceration or castration?

How about both! The mongrels do a lifetime of damage to many of their victims.

Barry Hicks

In NSW, the government actually passed some laws allowing them to keep such individuals locked up after their sentence had been completed. I actually don't know all the details but I think its a step in the right direction.

I have absolutely no doubt that these individuals do not deserve any sense of freedom, no matter how much time passes.

The other option is to declare them terrorists and send them to Guantanamo Bay, no charge, no trial, a bit of torture ....

They have those laws in QLD too. I think they tried to keep Fardon but eventually failed.
    The imprecise science of threat estimation gave him a low score. So they let him out and he breached his parole. But they got him and he was denied bail.

I'm willing to grant them freedom, after they get the knackers chopped off.
    Mick

avantguardian

Would castration really fix them? Would any of the parents on this board feel comfortable about their children's safety if they had a castrated paedophile living next door? If you have a dog that's dangerous and has bitten people can you really trust it not to do it again, even after you've had it neutered? I just don't think that these people have the right to live in our society.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I dont know and it's not worth the risk to find out.
    But, knackered, circumcised at the base of the johnson, eyeballs removed and fingers cut off. That should do it.
    I too am against capital punishment on principle, but not against corporal punishment.
    Mick

avantguardian