I would be interested to know from others out there of DIY world good and bad experiences to date of DIY. I dont want to get caught in the trap of x $ for this, I designed the member this one etc. I am just finding at the moment (now you realilse) that the responsibility is all on you and if someone makes a mistake along the way then it could be costly and time consuming if the builder/draftsman/engineer/electrician/carpenter/brickie/:
1. Does have P.I. insurance, if so how much for the lawyers and court costs and time before you get it fixed.
2. You are gullible enough to to take out home warranty insurance (whats the point? you cant self insure yourself, make sure the responsibilty falls back on them for insurances/green card.) You need to supply the safe work area etc as per OH&S.
3. Providing you follow the limits in the AS1684 series for timber building then you cant undersize your timber selections, follow the span info literature (not the design program the bloke down the timber place uses ie for Glulam/LVL/Hyspan), he just changes the figures and says you need this beam.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...