Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Metric Pulley Keyway Broach

Hi all,
    I need a 5mm keyway broach for a steel pulley to fit to the axle of a 5 inch gauge electric loco.
    I have tried the lathe tool saddle racking approach successfully once before, and I do not wish to further abuse the lathe by repeating that exercise.

A couple of tool suppliers in the Penrith area were unable to source one for me and the only one listed that I can find is a set of broaches at Hare & Forbes for $450.

I do not feel like buying a whole set for what may possibly be a one-off job.

Any suggestions on where I can purchase a single 5 mm keyway broach ?

I would consider a good usable ex-industrial one if offered.

Happy machining,
    John.

Try McJings, they sell single keyway broaches as well as sets.

Have you allready got the keyway cut in your axle I can supply a 3/16" or 1/4" broach if its any use.

painful as it may be try blackwoods, they can get most anything it seems at a price that can be high too.
    One to try in Brisbane at least would be Bolts and Industrial supplies, they have a website www.bolts.com.au i think.

i just remembered a place cant remember what it is called but can remember where it is.
    if you go out mulgoa road past the panthers and cua stadium, under the bridge, past the fire museam, past the pub to a set of traffic lights (i think) at an intersection that has car yards on it (only built in the last 3 years or so).
    turn left at the lights and head up the road a bit, turn right into first street (i think it is borec road) and up on the right hand side about half way along is an industrial suply place, maybe they can help.

I used to go to a retread factory up the road a bit (sydney bandag centre) and fix there machines, train there staff etc, the factory is/was in a group of factory units with a rock climbing place and a gym, I installed it about 4 years ago I think, maybe more

Quote Originally Posted by brisbanefitter View Post
    One to try in Brisbane at least would be Bolts and Industrial supplies, they have a website www.bolts.com.au i think.
    Without the s - www.bolt.com.au

oops, dyslexic fingers again, yes try www.bolt.com.au might work a bit better

Try McJings, they sell single keyway broaches as well as sets.
    [/QUOTE]

McJings would be your best bet. Blackwoods etc will be expensive. Broaches are notoriously expensive at the best of times..

Hare&Forbes occasionally have second hand broaches in their old tool section. But the are never really that cheap.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Hmm, so you want to buy the 5mm broach, that's OK. But what about the arbour you'll have to make, to be able to use it and the press as well, to actually broach it.
    All this will cost money, so, why not just take the item along to an engineering establishment and ask if they can broach the keyway for you.

Lots cheaper than buying the broach.

You mention the Sydney suburb of Penrith, well I reckon there would have to be at least ONE HUNDRED engineering places with-in that suburb, or very closely nearby.

You mention the Sydney suburb of Penrith, well I reckon there would have to be at least ONE HUNDRED engineering places with-in that suburb, or very closely nearby.
    [/QUOTE]

probably,I think he's looking for Macdonalds they specialize in odd tools etc......not cheap tho'
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

I bought a single broach and bush from:
    <http://www.robinsoninternational.com.au/broaches_bushes.php>

Jordan

Thanks guys for all the responses.

snowyskies: - mcjings have them for $69 (not sure if +GST).

pipeclay: - I have already milled the axle.

brisbanefitter: - the directions match Boltmaster, my regular supplier, and they were not able to help.

radish: - I will regard this one as a possible investment for future similar applications utilizing the typical 19mm bright mild steel axle.
    The required arbour I will make, and I already have a hand press.
    Shims I can get from the TAFE toolstore where I am currently doing a machining course.
    Would a commercial engineering firm even consider a one-off small (tiny) job ?

nadroj: - I will check the link before visiting mcjings

Happy machining,
    John.

Is the bore a standard size for a 5mm keyway.

Seeing that it might only be a one off job have you considered recutting another key way in the shaft to suit the broaches that you can borrow,or using the keyway broaches you can borrow and making a steped key to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by electrosteam View Post

Would a commercial engineering firm even consider a one-off small (tiny) job ?

John.
    Sure would, just ask the owner how many stubbies would it cost to do the job.
    Normal quote for something like that, is about the 15/20 buck mark, just for the time it takes to do it.

So, along comes "Jones" with the fizzy drink and your the bosses best mate, the fridge at work is kept well stocked this way.

regards radish