Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default easiest way to resize images

This is it

Open the folder that has the photo you want to attach, and right click on the photo, and select edit. It will open up Paint. Go down to the far right corner, and click on the box, and drag the box in the tiniest amount. The smallest amount, and the size will drop down around 100 kilobytes

I have attached a pic of when i am resizing it.

Thought I'd throw it in, because it seems everyone has a problem about the images.

Regards.........Joash

No, doing it like that, you get all the junk around the photo as well. Better to have the 100kb for the photo only.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Yeah, but often when I put a pic on, the photo is almost 300 kilobytes.

I use a free program like Irfan view to resize images.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Cheers
    Dan

Me too only I use Easy Thumbnails : http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/?Easy%20Thumbnails=2800

Couple of ways in no partic. order.

1) Free download Image Resizer

2) Using WinXP, right click image, choose Send To, Mail Recipient, opens Send Pics via email dialog box. Choose Show More Options, click medium (800x600), click Make all my pics smaller, click OK, opens Emailing window, double click on attachment (previews image), mouse down to disk icon, click it & choose filename & where to save your now smaller image. Close preview window, close Emailing window (don't save changes), & Bobs yer uncle.

3) Free download Paint.net (need to download .NET framework too). I like this one best, allows you to make Photoshop-like adjustments to your image, crop, resize, etc, then saving gives you a choice of quality & shows you projected file size. Bonzer

Important to understand 2 concepts.

Resizing an image changes the dimensions of the image in pixels, ie. Original Image 2272x1704 pixels (way larger than screen size), you might resize it to 800x600 pixels, which will fit on most people's screens no probs.

JPEG images (filename.jpg) can also be compressed, which is a process that reduces the final file size by reducing the image quality. The more compression the image program applies, the smaller the final image size, but there are no free lunches- reducing the file size too much can reduce the image quality unacceptably. For images requiring plenty of detail to be seen stay closer to the forum limit of 100Kb, when detail is less important maybe reduce the file size so it is quicker to down & upload, maybe 50-60Kb for example.

Posting an image usually requires RESIZING the file to (say) 800x600 pixels, and possibly compressing the file also to reduce the final file size. This yields an image that is quicker to upload & download to/from the forums, and easier for the viewer to see on their monitor.

HTH................cheers................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Gidday

Yikes sounds complicated. Goto:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Theres a Microsoft Powertoy called image resizer. Is a small download n once installed makes resizing your images as easy as a right click on the image you want to resize then choose the option you want

Theres ya apples fellas

REgards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

Thumbs up Go the power tools.

Get the MS powertool & it installs into your right click menu.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Look for it in the right hand column.

Oopss I'm an echo in here.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I already have ACDSee for photo management so I just use the resize tool, easy-peasy!!

Yer need photoshop!

Am I being unreasonable in seeking a re-sizer that allows you to enter the size u want the image to become (99.9 Kb) and then hitting a key and it happens?

I have downloaded and trialled about 6 of these things and they are all trial and error.

In the interests of full disclosure I must admit that they have all been freeware
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Bodgy,
    I would prefer trial and error freeware to an excessive reliance on Microsoft "freebies". you never know where they may lead.

You do know where Microsoft will lead you, just look at their record.

It leads to any competitors bankcrupcy, as MS give away their software which finally reaches a usability point where one may consider a small, token payment for the use thereof. They then rapidly up the price and one says "up yours Billy Boy" and returns to the other suppliers.

Problem is, they're all long gone.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

I'm not a raving MS loony but I've tried heaps of things & for resizing pics for this forum, the MS powertool works, quick & easy.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    Am I being unreasonable in seeking a re-sizer that allows you to enter the size u want the image to become (99.9 Kb) and then hitting a key and it happens?

In the interests of full disclosure I must admit that they have all been freeware
    I think you are being unreasonable.

The two factors are pixel dimensions, 640 x 480 – the old VGA screen, 800 x 600 – (I can't remember what it was called) then the bigger stuff up to 1600 x 1200 on 19" LCD or 21" CRT monitors, to the super huge using multiple monitors, and image quality.

As an example, I've got a 5 year old Sony 3 mega pixel camera that takes a 2048 x 1536 pixel image that runs to about 1.5Mb at best quality. The question I always have to answer is how to get an image down to 100Kb?
    What works for me is
    1 – make a copy and work on the copy
    2 – crop the image to the bit I really want to show
    3 – rezise the croped image to the maximum horizontal or vertical pixel dimension I want to use either 800 x 600 or 640 x 480
    4 – compress the image till it gets below 100 kb

ian