Just found this site, as we have bought 16 yo home with a "tired" kitchen and are replacing it.
Thought I might share any positives and negatives with anyone interested.
Will post some pics soon.

1st step. Remove old Kitchen inc stove, hotplate fan , dishwasher and sink..Could have kept some parts, but the dishwasher was old tech as was the rest. It is now landfill at the Helensvale tip where it belongs. )

All removal was done by me. Just had to get a sparky and plumber to disconnect services (didn't really HAVE to.. just wanted to keep it legal).
What I learned is.. I saved a lot of money, They weigh a lot, and when removing wall tiles, be prepared to take some "wall" out too. I am glad the original installer did not use liquid nails to stick the wall cabs the wall (there is a god)

2nd step, draw up proposed kitchens to suit the boss's needs and fit in the area at a good price.
I got a local kitchen maker to give us a quote (no appliances) It was about $9,000 designed and installed with basic laminated tops and plain doors.Custom made, but flat pack (us to install) was about $7800 and a "Bunnings" type standard flat pack $6800.
These prices are very good and I did consider going with them.
I then drew up plans in Bunnings, Mitre10 and Ikea simulators, to cut a long story short, Ikea had the lowest prices (in general) had nice solid beech doors on special for half price and had a better range of worktop colours so we went with them.
All up cost with a new wall oven, cooktop, concealed rangehood,large sink, mixer and $900 Bosch dishwasher. $6500.

TBC

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...