Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Machinery mover needed

I've just won a lathe on eBay and now the pleasure of winning is replaced with the problem of delivery.
    As it weighs approx 180 Kgs, it 's not the sort of thing you can throw in the boot of the car (not that I have a car).

Any member know of anyone who can collect and deliver a 180 Kg package?

I'm in Sydney. Problem with couriers is not having an account with them makes it difficult to do business.
    The lathe is in Burwood and I'm in Haberfield about 4 Kms away.

Instead of a courier, try a local carrier.
    You may find one who has a small carne on the back of the truck to load/unload.

Look up cranetruck in the yellow pages.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Get a mate with a trailer. My old box trailer handled my lathe from H&F. Biggest problem was lifting the coot out of the trailer and onto its bench. About three hours with car jacks, levers and blocks of wood!
    Good luck!
    Graeme

Looks like getting the lathe to my place is the easy part, it's getting into it's final home that's going to be the fun part!

I'd planned to put it in a spare room (sleepout) that I currently use for a workshop. Access will need to be through the house (up the hallway and through the kitchen) as access through the back door involves a lift of 1.5 metres and manouvering the lathe through 2 right angle turns that are only a little wider than required.

It's time like this I wish I had a shed - perhaps if I talk nicely to my landlord ....

Some eBay sellers are better than others!

When I apologised for the delay in picking up the lathe, citing difficulties in getting someone to pick it up, the seller offered to deliver it.
    He and his offsider turned up next day with the crate on a trolley on the back of a ute. The three of us maneuvered it through the house to the workshop with less effort than I imagined/
    Oh and there was no charge for this service.

So what lathe did you end up getting? Pictures?????

That was good fortune with the delivery.

The lathe is a Sieg C6 [http://www.siegind.com/Products/br-c6-lathe.htm] a couple of pictures attached.

When I received it, the crate had a Carbatec Brisbane shipping label on it. There is a Carbatec label on the headstock.

I'm taking advantage of the wet weather to:

1. design a bench for it. First attempt attached. (first attempt at using Sketchup too).
    I have some Blum drawers left over from a kitchen rebuild so I'll probably use them - can't have too many drawers.

2. Make a list of necessary tooling I need to buy. So far, the total is almost the same as I paid for the lathe!

As soon as the lawn dries out, I'll get stuck into the bench. (no room in the 'workshop' as the lathe is sitting in the middle of the floor. FWIW< the workshop is 2.4m x 3.6m but 1 metre of that is unusable as it's the passage to the laundry and back door.\

They are a nice little lathe.

Well done!