Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Floating Shelve Install

Hi,

I just purchased a floating shelf kit from Bunnings and was wondering if anyone could recommend a type of screw/fastner to use for attaching it to the wall. The kit came supplied with 5 flimsy screws and wall plugs which i am not going to bother with. The shelf is to installed where there are no studs to screw into, so it will be installed onto the plaster.

I guess i need something that can hold a bit of weight as the frame for the shelf is made of metal and weighs a bit. I have attached a diagram of the mounting bracket for reference.

Any info/advice appreciated.
    nesbit

Nesbit, you could use a variety of anchor types, I reckon one of the better ones are called Togglemates.

Using a phillips head screwdriver, or a drill/driver on low speed, you run the togglemate into the plasterboard until flush, ensuring the arrows on the head are oriented up/down. Then you use the supplied screw to attach the shelf bracket, when you do up the screw part of the anchor swivels out & pulls up firm against the back of the plasterboard.

They spread the load similarly to a toggle anchor, but have the advantage of being able to remove & replace the screw without losing the anchor into the wall cavity, handy for painting.

You may have seen Wallmates, which are a nylon or die cast anchor that self taps into the plaster and takes a screw. The wallmates are similar in function but as mentioned incorporate a toggle feature to spread the load & increase the rating.

Will get them in the fastener section at your hardware store, either in packets or (cheaper) loose-about $1.50 ea. Either way the screw is included.

Good for towel rails, dunny roll holders, brackets, etc. Rated for vertical load of 20 kg, which I would be reluctant to hang off one fastener in 10mm plasterboard, but in your case consider how much the shelf & load combined will weigh & spec accordingly, at least three would be fine I'd reckon.

Good luck...........cheers................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Find studs to attach it to.

If necessary, remove a section of plasterboard, nail a noggin to the studs, replaster and attach the shelf to the noggin.

Otherwise you may find that whatever you use to anchor through the plasterboard pulls out over time - the floating shelf design puts a tension load onto the screws, not a shear load.

Agree. Plasterboard wont support any weight. It will come away from the wall fairly quickly (it's only a layer of spak filler sandwiched between two sheets of thick paper). You need to find something solid to attach it to, or put in a nogging.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by nesbit
    Hi,

....... so it will be installed onto the plaster.

I guess i need something that can hold a bit of weight as the frame for the shelf is made of metal and weighs a bit. I have attached a diagram of the mounting bracket for reference.

Any info/advice appreciated.
    From what you have quoted above, I'd have to agree - find the studs - however, if you can't/don't want to add a nogging etc - perhaps consider adding a piece of timber [long enough to bridge the studs] to the support bracket which came with the shelf. You could rout the edges, stain/paint it to match the shelf or make a feature of it as the shelf's background etc. It is attached to the studs and your bracket is then attached to it.
    Hope it helps,
    Bob