Default IMS - Availablity Sydney ??

I am going to have a play around with some French Polish(Nothing that I can stuff up at the moment!

Does any body know where I can get Industrial Metho in (Northern) Sydney -When I asked at the local Bristol paint shop they tried to tell me I didn't need it for Shelac.....

Regards

Greg

I had the same problem. Have ordered a box of 6 litres from local hardware and I would like to share them with you as I too am new to this and don't anticipate I will need all of them. I expect them to be available on Monday or Tuesday. I live at Gordon.

I can also tell you that I saw them last week at The Hardware Co which is located at 113 Parramatta Road, Annandale (near the corner of Johnston Street). His price was $7.95 per litre. He also does mail order and his website is www.hwco.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I had the same problem. Have ordered a box of 6 litres from local hardware and I would like to share them with you as I too am new to this and don't anticipate I will need all of them. I expect them to be available on Monday or Tuesday. I live at Gordon.

I can also tell you that I saw them last week at The Hardware Co which is located at 113 Parramatta Road, Annandale (near the corner of Johnston Street). His price was $7.95 per litre. He also does mail order and his website is www.hwco.com.au

Thanks for that reply (and offer).I have just been to Complete Hardware (Paint Dept) at Eastwood and they sell it in 5 Ltr containers (That they pack them selves) for $15.00
    It just has on label Industrial Methylated Spirits...But they told me it was pure.

Regards

Greg

Good thread, I live in Canberra and am wanting to experiment with my forst go at french polishing using shellac flakes.

I had the same problem when I asked at the local paint shop - the guy there said he had done a french polishing course and that all they used were normal 'Diggers' metho, he sold me a bottle but after buying and reading Neil's book I would like to try IMS.

I might have to create a new thread here but anyone looking in this Sydney thread have any idea who in Canberra might stock it

Hi Brett,

I checked out the diggers site ,and they do it as well.I was surprised how easy it was to get after I started looking around.

I would say that any Quality Paint strores probably would sell it.

Regards

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Strungout View Post
    I have just been to Complete Hardware (Paint Dept) at Eastwood and they sell it in 5 Ltr containers (That they pack them selves) for $15.00
    It just has on label Industrial Methylated Spirits...But they told me it was pure.

Regards

Greg
    Industrial Methylated Spirits sold at every hardware and paint store is 95IMS, that is, about 5% water by weight.
    You must specify 100IMS if you want the anhydrous stuff, and it is nearly twice the price (20L, $108 I paid).
    The average counter jumper at these stores knows nothing about 100IMS. Unless you find a stockist, insist they look up their supplier's catalogue.
    Brian

I emailed Diggers and this is the reply [28/02/2007]

"Good morning Bob,

Thank you for your enquiry. I had a look which hardware stores in your
    area have bought 100% methylated spirits in recent times. This is not a
    product we sell a lot of and I could not find any. The closest store (I
    know it is not very close to you) would be Potters Paint Place in
    Strathpine (07 3881 0688). This is only helpfull if you plan to travel
    to Brisbane in the near future. You can however ask your local Mitre 10
    store if they are willing to order it in for you.

Kind Regards,

Lia Verbunt
    Diggers Australia"

She says "that this is not a product they sell a lot of............."?

Those who have used 95%

What were the results?

Any problems?

Would you use it again or find 100%?

Regards,
    Bob

Try some of the furniture restoriation supply/antique shops, I get mine from a furniture restoration shop on Magill Road here in Adelaide.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post

Those who have used 95%

What were the results?

Any problems?

Would you use it again or find 100%?

Regards,
    Bob
    Some people get good results with 95% meths while many like myself prefer the 100% meths. The 95% brew usually has additives to make it undrinkable and the water can sometimes get trapped under the finish and cause problems.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

If you want the absolute best results in french polishing you must use 100% IMS. Contact Neil at uBeaut. He stocks it. The reason it's hard to get is that it is used in the illicit production of methamphetimine. You have to register if you purchase bulk amounts - or so I'm told.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Check out this thread. I think you'll find some more info on metho, testing metho etc here.

cheers
    Wendy

A risk of being seen to teach grandmother to suck eggs I would like to try to clear up some misconceptions about metho. It has possibly been covered a number of times before but no matter.

Metho is ethyl alcohol (ethanol), the same stuff that makes beer and wine intoxicating, to which has been added something to make it undrinkable. Formerly, this additive was methyl alcohol which is toxic, and Australian legislation defines the added materials as "methylating substances".

I've looked at the MSDS for industrial meths that we use as a disinfestant in our business and there is now no methyl alcohol added, just very tiny amounts of a number of substances with long names.

There is the idea about that the water in IMS is added. Actually it is what is not removed. Ethanol is produced by fermentation so starts off as a lot of water with some ethanol (and a bit of other stuff).
    The maximum concentration of ethanol that can be obtained by distillation is 96% by volume, 95% by weight, hence your 95IMS, the usual industrial meths obtainable over the counter. To get to 100% ethanol a secondary drying process has to be used.

You don't have to register or get licences to obtain 100IMS, just ask your hardware or paint store to get it in for you.

Asking for "pure" confuses the issue. Pure ethanol (that is, without the methylating substances) is not available to the general public. Food manufacturers (for producing essences) and science labs (for instance) would require this and need licences. We woodworkers just need IMS, the stuff you can't drink.

Hope this helps somebody.
    Brian