Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Painting Internal Brick wall

Hi,

I have a sunroom in an old 1920s apartment building. The walls are brick which have been previously painted. Three walls are internal walls the fourth is an exterior wall. The old paint is flaking and peeling off so I thought that I would prepare and repaint them as part of the renovation project. Some of the bricks (half a dozen) have old lime mortar which have had to be remortared.

From reading various threads I gather that the next bit is scrapping of all the flakey paint and using a wire brush so that what is left is pretty well stuck there. Then I understand that I use a sealer binder once this is done.

What I am not sure about is how to reduce the slight ridge left between where the paint is good and has been removed. Do I just hand sand it slightly?

Secondly what I would like to know how to do is to get that 'look' that I have seen where the paint looks like it is quite 'thick' on the brick...almost looks like the valleys between the bricks have been softened and not so noticeable. The example I have seem almost looks like it has got dust in the paint. Sounds weird but while I am fairly practical about doing 'stuff' and have painted other surfaces before, painting brick is not something that I have done before.

Many thanks

Gert

Sounds like the walls you have seen were bagged,which will fill in the joins and give a sandy finish to paint.

Tools