Need some very basic tiling advice. My first attempt at tiling is going to be in our kitchen. I have read a few DIY pages on tiling sites and it all makes sense (in theory). I have decided how I think I will go about it, but just need some advice on if this is the right way. The tiles I'm going to use are ceramic 250mm wide X 400mm high.

I was going to start on the right hand side above the bench. The height between the bench and the window is about 380mm, so it will be one course with each tile trimmed a bit off the top to fit. I have worked out that full tiles (width wise) will fit from the right hand corner to the left hand corner - so no narrow tiles on that wall.

I was then going to continue from the left corner moving towards the oven tower, starting with a full tile at the corner and my first course just off the top of the bench. This would leave a half width tile meeting up with the oven tower.

I was then going to fill down the narrow strip between the dishwasher and the far right wall to the floor, then re-tile the far right wall (over the existing tiles). Should I start with full tiles in the corner of this wall, with the narrow ones on the outside, or vice-versa?

Where the fibre cement meets the existing blue wall lining above the sink there is a dip in the wall, so instead of the usual 3 - 4mm gap between the bench and the wall there is about a 10mm gap where the sheets meet. Is there something I can even this out with? Or do I lay the tile glue really thick in that area?

Hope this makes sense.:? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...