Hi All, been reading through the posts for awhile and just half way through our first reno trying to do as much as possible.

Need help to prepare for the tiler. When removing the tiles the old render was quick thick and straight to brick. I need to know if I'm on the right track, see the photos.

Tiler has given a few tips to get it ready for him. Not sure I have it 100% right though.

1. Cut cement board 6mm thick sheets, to size of the wall. Should I get this as close to snug as possible?
2. Use cornice cement to stick sheet to brick. Level out using long piece of wood etc, don't push too hard. (Do I trowel the CC with a 5mm thickness and stick it? Or I'd thought I'd seen in another pic just dob big circles on?)
3. Drill the sheets to the wall also. (My problem here is won't drilling move the sheets and won't be level, also do I use plaster screws and plugs or brick?)
4. 2 layers of membrane over the board.

Then ready to tile.

Other questions are am I right that as long as the cement boards are flat it's ok for the tiler. If the sheets aren't exactly flush it's ok as the tiling cement will all even out. Again see pics the wall is higher than the big holes which are down to brick.

Kitchen we have sheets of glass mosaics and bathroom 300 x 600 ceramic tiles.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...