Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  2

Default Finish for Jarrah rocking chair

I've just finished building a rocking chair out of Jarrah.
    As it's my first time building anything out of Jarrah, I'm looking for suggestions on the best finish to use???
    It will be strictly for inside use and ideally, I'd like a satin finish that will bring out the red.
    I'm also wondering if I need to coat the underside of the rocker legs with urethane as a precaution against leaving any marks on the carpet in the house???
    I could probably leave them bare as the Jarrah has been sitting around for 10+ years so i doubt anything will leech out of the timber itself.
    Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Nothing kicks Jarrah to the next level like flake or button shellac. It richly enhances red timbers like that.

Its the amber colour of flake or button that does it.
    The bottle on the right is Flake or Button that I mixed myself.
    The middle is Ubeaut hard shellac and the left is what I bought as Blonde shellac.

You cant see the amber colour there because the light isn't passing through it.
    Shellac will not be a satin shine unless you dull and wax finish it. Fine Liberon 0000 steel wool and a wax polish can do that to a level you may be happy with.
    IMG_6291.jpg

That below is looking into a pot of Flake dissolving.

IMG_5796.jpg

And that is a Jarrah workbench I polished with flake shellac over a coat or two of Wattyl sanding sealer to give it some body first.

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

Rob