Default What finish won't darken timber?

We're making a bookcase in New Guinea Rosewood, and we'd like to get a finish that doesn't darken the colour of the timber too much. What can you experts recommend?
    Thanks,
    Liz

Most clear finishes will darken at least a little over time.
    I prefer clear lacquer over nice timber, doesn't yellow very much.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Default Clear finish

Bob,
    What type of finish is it that you use?

Since a bookcase doesn't need to be ultra resiliant, I'd consider something like Organ oil's Hard Burnishing Oil.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Furniture spraying lacquer is available from several manufacturers,
    Mirotone, Croda (think they changed their name) Wattyl, Haymes , and the new Timbecon website lists a precatalysed lacquer.

Personally I prefer precat Croda but use wattyl as its easier to get.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Generally the oils will darken the timber most. And will be "flatter". You'll lose the beauty of the timber unless you work at it for weeks (and weeks). The least darkening finishes (and also very durable) are the lacquers. There are oil and urethane mixtures (Wattyl / Feast Watson) which also provide a durable finish and do not darken too much. But the urethanes can "yellow" over time / with exposure to light.

Our White Shellac or Hard Shellac won't change the colour of the timber any more than wetting it down with water. Go here http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm and click on the links on the left.

Cheers - Neil

PS I know it looks dark in the pic on the site but it really won't darken or yellow the timber..... Honest.

PPS If the bookcase you are making has doors that enclose the books then leave the shelves and internal woodwork raw. This is traditionally done to draw moisture from the books and helps to preserve them.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the white shellac. What sort of coverage would you get out of the 500ml bottle?
    We're doing one smallish bookcase and one that covers the whole end wall of the living room (sorry haven't got the dimensions here). Would I need the 5 litres, or does a little go a long way?

Thanks again,
    Liz