Default 1970's ceiling...and walls ....

Hi all , I'm just about to move into a unit and will be removing a built in wardrobe . The ceiling of the room is a kind of pebble dashed effect ( never seen it before ) and when I remove the wardrobe I will have a hole in the ceiling as it also curves down the wall slightly like cornicing ( if that makes sense - the ceiling and cornice are all made of the same stuff ) . Any idea what this stuff is and what would be the best product to fill it with so I can make the filler blend in . Also the walls are not completely smooth . They have a kind of 'orange peel' effect to them . I wont be stripping them but will to match my repairs to that surface . Anyone come across this sort of thing before - thanks.actually having read another post it looks like a 'Stramit' ceiling if that helps although being in a unit I 'm sure it cant be panel.....but it looks the same

I would like to see a photo of the ceiling finish if thats possible. From what you say I would be thinking a new ceiling could be the way to go.

I once went to look at a house that had sheets of painted plastic bubble wrap glued onto the ceiling for a decorative effect. When reading your description it reminded me.

I just checked my revered and treasured Dunlop/IBC/Esca catalogue from 1972. It seems wild and trippy textured sheets were made from masonite and used as featured walls, cabinet inserts - no reason not to use them on a ceiling. you might have something made from masonite up there.

And your walls could be the highly exotic "suede leatherette" texture sheet - wow what a score! Punch a hole in the surface of the ceiling and the walls - is it dark brown powdery stuff?
    Last edited by Dirty Doogie; 14th January 2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: heh heh

Stuey it could be a number of different applications or sheet types the 70's was not renown for decorum.

As DD has said a photo an a hole to test the sheet thickness etc. would help.

Cheers

Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Sounds like it might be the dreaded "vermiculite"