Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How do seal a black heart sassafras table?

I' ve got a beautiful black-heart sassafras table, which needs the usual protection from the indoor environment ( 2 boys, red wine, pizza nights etc.); problem is that I very much love the original colour pattern /matt surface and the couple of recommended sealing options i tried underneath (danish oil) all turned wood noticeable darker;
    One recommendation was to combine sealer with a tiny bit of suitable white colour to counteract the darkening of the sealer ?!
    Does anyone has any experience and / or recommendation ?
    Any help very much appreciated

Thanks Thomas

https://www.woodworkforums.com/attach...1&d=1330861609

Hi Thomas,

Just reading through some threads. I'm curious that no-one has replied to your question, but I'm more curious about how you finished the table?

I have some blackheart sassafras that I'm using for a coat rack. Was about to finish with hard burnishing oil (for no particular reason - only my second project!) but after reading your post am having second thoughts.

Can I ask how you have finished it off and what you would recommend?

Beautiful table by the way.

Andrew

Default black heart sassafras table

HI THOMAS,
    When i make my sassafras lazy susans and bandsaw boxes i spray them with sanding sealer 2 coats then sand with 320 grit between coats, then i spray with wattle satin 75/25 three coats sand with 400 grit between coats it seems to have nice sheen to the articals.
    regards john.