Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Plastering Help

Default Plastering Help

Hi,

I have just put downlights in my house and i have some holes i need to patch up.

I made a few mistakes but have screwed the gyprock to a piece of wood with 1 in the middle of the gyprock and 1 either side of the covered up hole into the wood.

The next problem i have is i need to plaster them over and i dont have a clue what the easyest product to use, and also how hard it will be?

I also noticed a while ago that the gyprock in my lounge room started to bubble. On closer inspection what is happening the nails look like they are
    sliding out and causing 2 little lumps in the gyprock.

I have no experience with any of this stuff and i can actually push the nails up with my thumb so i am not sure when the house was built they used the wrong nails? (not sure) One of the nails is actually visible and it has a flat head on it if that is any help. My house was built in 1990 by jennins group and i have had a look in the roof and there is no water leaking or any reason for this to happen.

If anyone can help it would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Use total joint compound from CSR Gyprock. If the hole is large, get a gyprock offcut and fix into the hole with a piece of wood behind. (as you have done I think) Then fill with 3 coats of jointing compound. Where the nails have popped, use plasterboard screws (buildex make some) that have a bugle head. Re fix the sheet with screws, pull out or punch the nails deep then coat with jointing cement.

Cheers
    Pulse

Nails or screws that are not connected to a joist or batton, may eventually pop out over time. Also another reason is the nail may have been hit into stud adhesive, which will shrink when dry and push the nail out. The nails are most likely clouts.

I'm no expert, just a DIY'er. PULSE seems to have the right idea.