Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default remove paint from machine parts

I realise this forum is more tailored to woodworkers, but hopefully someone can help me.

I want to repaint some lathe parts with Protec 304 equipment enamel. They are cast alloy cover panels with a fairly rough finish. I wanted to strip off the old paint first, so I applied some Selleys paint stripper. It wasn’t very successful. In some places I got back to bare metal. In other places it didn’t even bubble the top coat.

It looks as though there a three types of paint in the finish. White and pink coats with a green top-coat. I assume the white and pink are spray-putty and primer coats.

I guess if I apply enough of the Selleys stripper I will eventually get all the paint off, but it could be a time-consuming and expensive process.

Is there a better way of removing paint from cast alloy? I thought about just lightly sanding the top coat back and applying the enamel over the top. But now that I have gone back to bare metal in some places and not others I would end up with different textures where there is putty/no putty. I think I’m now committed to removing all the layers of paint.

Appreciate any advice.

One way will be to keep using paint stripper or grit blasting will be faster, but nyou will need to take it easy, but this will remove all including the putty

Default The Paint.

Hi Jack620,
    How about a Hot Air Gun, & being a bit careful, with NOT to much heat, & a Paint Scraper as well.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Thanks fellas. Was going to try heat gun but didn't want to damage the good paint on the inside of the cover. The metal is about 6mm thick, so it might be OK. If that fails I'll investigate grit blasting. If that's too expensive I'll go back to Bunnings for more paint stripper!

I wanted to clean up rust from a lathe restore that I am doing (still doing ) so I ended up borrowing an angle grinder from a friend and purchased Brumby Strip-it Disc. I found this in the Bunnings.

This removed the rust and the paint, works very quick on the flat surface. Little hard in tight corners.

Here is the link https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lat...09/index4.html

If you cover the paint stripper with cling film (glad wrap) it will stop it drying out. This means you can leave it on for longer and it will hopefully work on the stubborn parts and make it cheaper for you.
    Jeremy

Like it or not, I've used caustic soda in water as a paint stripper.
    There are a multitude of cautions, because of burn potential, disposal etc- but with appropriate safety gear etc, it worked really well.
    Don't use it unless you know what you are doing-adding water the wrong way is dangerous.

Thanks again fellas. I bought some Diggers brand paint stripper today. It's much cheaper than the Selleys and has a different active ingredient. It worked quite well. It ended up needing 2 thick applications, but I got all of the paint and most of the putty off. I'll try the abrasive wheel the remove the rest of the putty.

That's good to hear.