Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing advice wanted

Hi everyone,
    I've done small staining jobs before, but have never enjoyed doing it. Always hard to keep everything even, no matter how methodical I try to be..
    Now I have a large dining table and chairs to darken. They're Tassie Oak and are being stained to a very dark brown. I have acheived the finish on several samples, but don't know how I'm going to go staining so many things at once>>> and keeping it even.
    Any tips on strategies? I'm scared to go into it all without some sort of gameplan..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

To get the desired colour I have sanded the samples to 120G with a R.O.Sander and used Wattyl Walnut and Black together with a very small amount of Feast and Watson Mahogany Prooftint to make it perfect. I'm just hoping someone's got some tips that might make it slightly less of a struggle. Cheers

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <wompatibility> <wreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <wseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </wompatibility> <wrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</wrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If aiming for a dark finish, it's always better to begin with a dark timber. That's not of much help to you now though. If you have limited experience with staining, then probably the best approach is to first apply a barrier, commonly known as a 'conditioner'. It doesn't condition anything, but acts as a filter to slow down the take up of stain in the more absorbent areas and block it in less absorbent areas.

The conditioner can be a diluted coat of the intended finish, glue size, or a commercial product; much will depend on your chosen finish, which is…?
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Hey WW, Thanks very much for the advice, I thinned out the stain as a precoat and it has been good and done what you said it would. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, was busy staining- Will post before and after shots when I'm done. Thanks again mate

Hey, any chance of some of those before and after shots? I've got a tassie oak hall table I'm trying to work out how to stain, so I'm interested in your experience. Like you I'm trying to stain TO to a dark walnut colour.
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Hi mate, I had a pretty positive experience. Here are some shots- turned out well, but took a while to get it all right.. Will send you my 'recipe'
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/member...-table-chairs/

Thanks, Dane. Steve has suggested I try Van Dyke crystals, so I'll have to experiment a bit.
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.