Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Merbau tannin stain in sandstone

Hey all

A merbau screen I put up recently at my place was situated above an area of sandstone, and unfortunately that welcome rain we had the other week in melbourne came before I had a chance to seal the paving as well as the timber...now there's brown all over the edge pavers from the tannins leaching out.

I've searched the other similar topics, and either oxalic acid and bleach seemed to be the best option, I'm just worried that sandstone being natural and some pieces being more porous than others won't react to anything, or has this been done? A hard scrub got rid of most of it but there's still a substantial amount left.

I was thinking of trying domestos first, otherwise try bunnings for some sort of tannin remover. This close to christmas (and my turn for xmas dinner!) I would be very pleased to see it removed by a product rather than ripping them out and relaying!

Cheers
    Planned Landscape Constructions
    www.plannedlandscape.com.au

Gday mate, haven't time to skim them but there's info in the threads at the bottom of the screen, if you haven't come across them yet.

Bondall (makers of Bondcrete) do a Bore Rust & Tannin Remover that could be worth a try, maybe give them a ring & ask for Julie Champion - has good tech knowledge.

Cheers..................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Cheers mate, I'll give the domestos a go tomorrow

Off topic, but where is the forum drop-down list gone? I couldnt find a site support section to ask the question

Well I tried some bleach today- popped into Coles and saw the domestos, then there was home brand stuff at $2 a bottle and the ingredients and quantities were exactly the same.

Poures some over the stained areas- no more stains. Worked a treat, leave it for a minute or so, then scrub with a stiff brush in a swirling motion and it all came off (bar a couple of spots hardly noticeable), then hose off clean.

Worked a treat, the stain has been there for over a week in hot sun and rain, and the home brand stuff did the job