Default Stirrups for timber house stumps

Hi, I am a newbie here, great site. I am planning on doing an extension to a 50's fibro house on jarrah stumps. I am wondering if it is viable to use galv post stirrups to mount the perimeter stumps (where exposed to weather) - I know they are commonly used for patios etc. but can they be used for load bearing house stumps? If so, does anyone know what concrete footings would be required to meet standards equivalent to AS1684 traditional footing types 2, 3 and 4. Also what gauge and max length the stirrups would have to be. Alternative of course is to embed directly into the ground to feed the local termites.

I think the more normal thing would be to use concrete stumps or steel house columns for example see http://www.scottmetals.com.au/column.html

If you want the stumps to look like timber you could always box steel columns in with thin veneers of jarrah.

Off the shelf stirrups are not designed for house stumping. In most cases they would not be passed by a building certifer especially under bracing/perimeter house walls. The problem is that they are not laterally stable if racking force is applied to them. Even when used for a deck with a roof some stirrups would fail a building inspection.

Steel stumps set in the appropriate nominal footing would be just as easy.

Doog

Thanx guys you have confirmed my suspicions. For some reason it has been really hard to find concrete stumps in Perth - no luck so far. Steel is an option but they seem extremely expensive. Brick columns are another possibility but I have a feeling the council is going to want engineers' certification for those (more delays, more bux).