Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Hi from Berowra

Default Hi from Berowra

Hi all, I found this site while trying to find some ideas on benches and layout for my new shed. Turns out it's much harder to start with a clean slate than whinge and moan about the shortcomings of your current workspace. Who knew?

I read through a few threads on workbenches and saw some very impressive work. Decided that my first bench in the new shed will be a general workbench for the metal/automotive stuff, but while it's still shiny and new it will be used to make the wood bench. Still trying to decide whether I go for broke with the wood bench, or take the sensible option and aim lower, knowing I'll make another one later anyway.

Haven't done a lot of woodwork in the past, but picked up some nice slabs during a trip to Tassie a few years back that I hope to turn into something spectacular. Be nice to be able to justify my hobby of collecting tools.

Thumbs up

G'day Beetle Shirt and welcome to a multitude of frustrations and solutions that will cover every aspect of woodworking .. and then some>

Are you close tp the water where you are? Beautiful area there, especially around the water.

Welcome aboard.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome at this rate NSW might have a chance of out numbering the Victorian's on the forum.

Nice area Berowra more so as Artme said if near the water he should talk he's Gold Coast.

Your in good company up there a few snobby forumites like Ozkaban and Sawdustmaker live that way

So you being a tool collector will be at Asquith Boys High in May for the old tool sale.

Ray

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

"The training of the eyes to know when an edge is perfectly straight or a surface is flat, free from winding, and straight, is a very important part of a lad's training."

Hi there Beetle, welcome to the furum

"Your in good company up there a few snobby forumites like Ozkaban and Sawdustmaker live that way "

from another Berowra-ite.

At this rate we could think about starting a sub-club.

cheers, Colin

Welcome to the forum.

When you need a tool you should be able to find it.

That's a problem I have and I only have a little amount of tools.

Whoa, so many replies!

Sometimes it would be great being on the water, but sadly most times it's better being close to the train station, so I'm in Berowra proper, not B. Heights or B. Waters. I was working out near Castle Hill for about a year though, so a lot of mornings I got to go over the ferry and through Arcadia and Galston before hitting traffic at Dural. Made going to work a lot more pleasant.

Colhu, Ozkaban and Sawdustmaker - all in Berowra? Be nice to meet some Berowra woodies. I have big holes in my tool collection and skill set that I'd like to fill - one of the biggies is that I only have an electric plane . Yes, I'm going to fix that, but I'd kinda like to fix up old ones rather than pay bulk dollars for decent quality, and I have a slight handicap in that I don't know much about them at all. I don't want to get rubbish out of ignorance, I much prefer to buy a tool once. Anyone want to impart some wisdom and experience?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    So you being a tool collector will be at Asquith Boys High in May for the old tool sale.
    Ray
    What? Tool sale? Yep! When is it? Know what's on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    When you need a tool you should be able to find it.
    I can always find them! They're in the shed somewhere!

My father used that all the time. "Dad, have you seen X?" "It's in the shed somewhere!" Used to drive me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Shirt View Post
    What? Tool sale? Yep! When is it? Know what's on the list?

I can always find them! They're in the shed somewhere!

My father used that all the time. "Dad, have you seen X?" "It's in the shed somewhere!" Used to drive me nuts.
    Here you go Beetle Nut see this thread
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/s...nd-may-114524/

or this http://www.tttg.org.au/Content/TTTG%...%20Sellers.pdf

"Beetle Nut"

Yep, I'm in. Hopefully that will give me enough time to sort out what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Shirt View Post
    "Beetle Nut"

Yep, I'm in. Hopefully that will give me enough time to sort out what I need.
    My apologies Beetle Shirt ................so are you a Beetle nut?? Fab 4 musical, pest type or VW??

Ray

Nope, actually it came from the anagram generator at wordsmith.org/anagram

For hexample, wheelinround comes up with 5232 anagrams, such as Nodule Whiner. The one above it is more amusing, but I don't think it would get past the forum censors...

Hi!
    Need anything at all I'm in Middle Dural mate. Welcome to the family. I'm surprised there are so many people out our way!

Always happy to help
    Dane
    Last edited by Eldanos of KDM; 20th March 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Jeez I just forgot something

Hi Dane, does that mean you're on a 5 acre block? I'd love to be out there - heaps of room for a decent shed!