Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is my builder doing this right?

We are building a double storey house at the moment (slab on ground, pine timber frame, timber chamferboard cladding, iron roof), and I as the owner is project managing. The builder has come well recommended and I have no reason to believe that he wont dont a quality job. I know very little about building and just try and check the obvious common sense things. At this stage most of the pine framing is up on both levels, the first floor is down and the roof trusses go on next week. Today, I went to the house with a spirit level and tape measure to check that walls, door/window frames are plumb - but came away somewhat worried. For example, there is an internal doorway where the top of the bare door frame is around 1.5cm narrower than the bottom of the bare door frame. Is this something I should be worried about? I presume something (door jamb?) has to go over the door frame before the door gets hung and thats when the problem with the door being out of square/plumb will be fixed? What else should I be checking to keep the builder honest?

Thanks

CG

If he puts the door jam in and those measurements are still the same ....then worry ....its not unusual to have a frame slightly out of true .....doorways and windows are usually "packed" so the frames fit properly .....its not a big concern ....

Thanks. Is it likely that these internal doors will be bought by the builder pre-framed and they will just be positioned in the hole and any gaps packed?

Quote Originally Posted by gauntone View Post
    Thanks. Is it likely that these internal doors will be bought by the builder pre-framed and they will just be positioned in the hole and any gaps packed?
    Yep.

go for a walk with your tape and spirit level to some neighbours houses. I bet that most walls will be out.

I as the owner is project managing. The builder has come well recommended and I have no reason to believe that he wont dont a quality job. I know very little about building and just try and check the obvious common sense things.
    Firstly welcome and my comments are intended to save you loads of grief over your building project.

I may get flamed and this probably is not what you would like to hear, but if you have to ask these kind of questions I don't think you should be a project manager.

Instead if you really feel the need to second guess the builder, who as you say comes well recommended, then I think you should employ a professional like the Archicentre or an architect.

Peter.

As a general rule I'd be wary of a builder who asks you to be the project manager ( owner builder), It may, not always, but sometimes be due to the fact that the builder can't obtain insurances, and warranty cover. As the owner builder you are responsible for the warranty on the house.

Just be careful and as said before if you cant project manage your own house being built probably not a good I dea to do it? Not trying to be mean but it's a fairl risk venture if you don't know what your doing.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

We are building a double storey house at the moment (slab on ground, pine timber frame, timber chamferboard cladding, iron roof),
    This ...

I know very little about building and just try and check the obvious common sense things.
    Is a VERY GOOD REASON not to be diong THIS!

and I as the owner is project managing.

The builder has come well recommended and I have no reason to believe that he wont dont a quality job.
    [snip]

For example, there is an internal doorway where the top of the bare door frame is around 1.5cm narrower than the bottom of the bare door frame. Is this something I should be worried about?
    Hmmm? I don't know if you should be worried, BUT that size variation IS TO BIG for my liking!

It is NOT a problem per se, in that he can "fit" the doors to the opening, however he is creating more work for himself than necessary by being less accurate than he SHOULD be!

Errors on door frames SHOULD (IMHO) be NO MORE than 0.5cm and realistically are easy enough to be more accurate than this.

I presume something (door jamb?) has to go over the door frame before the door gets hung and thats when the problem with the door being out of square/plumb will be fixed?
    But wouldn't it be easier to make the door frame the right size to begin with?

(If you are talking about the timber wall framing that SURROUNDS the door frame, then the problem is not real a problem. When the door frame proper is fitted then the builder can than "adjust" the proper door frame for a good fit, by packing etc. Not my preferred method, but no doubt would work)
    Kind Regards

Peter

CG
    what sort of arrangment have you made with your builder? Any building work over $1100 in Qld requires the use of contractors with the appropriate QBSA licenses. Any work over $3300 requires a written contract. Unless you are going owner builder you can't actually carry out the supervision or project management.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    CG
    what sort of arrangment have you made with your builder? Any building work over $1100 in Qld requires the use of contractors with the appropriate QBSA licenses. Any work over $3300 requires a written contract. Unless you are going owner builder you can't actually carry out the supervision or project management.

Mick

And quite often Builders who can't secure cover for the above insurances, ask you to be the O.B. so they don't have too
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by bricks View Post
    And quite often Builders who can't secure cover for the above insurances, ask you to be the O.B. so they don't have too
    In Qld statutory insurance cover is provided by the licensing authority (QBSA) If they can't get cover it's because they don't have a license.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

You lot talkin to ya selves agin....

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    You lot talkin to ya selves agin....

It would appear so.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

It is NOT a problem per se, in that he can "fit" the doors to the opening, however he is creating more work for himself than necessary by being less accurate than he SHOULD be!
    It often amuses me the way people read things. As soon as I read it, I thought he was talking about the door opening in the stud wall frame. I would instantly sack any builder/carpenter who tried to fit a door to an opening that was 1.5cm out!
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    It often amuses me the way people read things. As soon as I read it, I thought he was talking about the door opening in the stud wall frame. I would instantly sack any builder/carpenter who tried to fit a door to an opening that was 1.5cm out!
    So did I, and in asking that made me suggest he uses a professional.

Peter.

Talking Another

Looks like Ewes have Scared him Off............Ewes NASTY Ppl

Another one by the looks,
    But at least he got 2 Posts..........

Many get the Runs after their ONE Post
    Navvi