I have scoured this forum and have picked up many tips but have a small issue that I would appreciate some help on. I live in a 1950's bungalow that has had a second floor conversion put in. This takes up most of one side of the bungalow but leaves a small amout of dead space down one end.

The previous owners put a make shift store cupboard in that is too small to be of any use so I want to extend this into the remaining loft space.

I have attached an image of the loft space (can't say I'm impresseed with their cabling!) but looking at the image on the left hand side is the edge of the small cupboard (where the insulation is). About 2 foot away is a hanging beam which is my issue.

I want to extend all the way to the rafter on the right and then come down vertically. I know I need to put in new floor joists but how to I get round/over the hanging beam. If I build the new joists higher to miss it I'm losing head room (not the end of the world but I would like to be able to stand up). I don;t think I should incorporate it into the new floor as it will crack my ceiling down stairs (won't it?) And I can't see that I can move it as it will always be in the way.

Any suggestions/help would be most helpful

Steve

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...