Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Well not much

Thumbs up Well not much

Food for thought.
    Just remember some things are sealed for your protection not just to make you buy anew one.
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Default The throw away society

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Food for thought.
    Just remember some things are sealed for your protection not just to make you buy anew one.
    Yes that is true but many are 'sealed' for commercial reasons and I believe that we have the right to chose whether we repair it ourselves, send it to a licenced repairer or throw it away. On this basis we should have access to the information to repair it ourselves, if we have the ability, and without having to buy special tools.

Whitewood
    Last edited by whitewood; 11th November 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add extra explanation

Nice!!
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Default Special tools

I's a strange coincidence but 2 hours after adding a thread to this post this morning I went to the shed to repair and replace, if necessary, the front wheel bearings on my 2002 Ford AU111.

The bottom line is that is not possible. I have to buy a fully complete hub for $187.00 and a special locking nut for $44.00 for each wheel. So instead of a DIY job costing at the most 2 wheel bearing and a slit pin say $40 all up I'm up for $231.00 and get to throw away a hub, 5 studs, 2 bearing cups and probably a perfectly good inner bearing. The winner is Ford who made a $231.00 sale per wheel. The looser is me financially and the wasted material.

I think there is need for less complicated solutions but it will never happen as 'big business' will argue their case to the authorities and win because they have the financial backing to make it happen.

Whitewood

Default Auto parts recyclers

Hi Whitewood,

I feel your pain but if you rip around to your local auto parts recyclers you may be able to pick up the whole unit for about $30 bucks a side depending on how nice they are. Secondhand but in good nick!

Good luck...Oddjob1

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob1 View Post
    Hi Whitewood,

I feel your pain but if you rip around to your local auto parts recyclers you may be able to pick up the whole unit for about $30 bucks a side depending on how nice they are. Secondhand but in good nick!

Good luck...Oddjob1
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered this option but as the car is still going well, no rust etc. very comfortable to drive (a fairmont ghia) and suits my current needs I'll probably keep it running for quite a few years yet. On this basis I opted for new parts.
    John

Sometimes, it's in your own best interest to replace vs. repair, unless your time has zero value.

I once repaired an electric chain saw, which needed a new pinion or ring gear (I forget which). At least a week for delivery of the new part(s), and cost of $20. An entire new chain saw cost about $30 at the time. No more of that business, except for bar or chain replacement, and sharpening of course. Leave the innards alone.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Default self repair

I felt the point of the above was to give the consumer the choice of repair or replace not the original manufacturer

Whitewood